Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manuel86001
Level 7

Max WiFi Bitrate Roku Streaming Stick Plus- Software 9.0.0

Hello,

my new 3810 just arrived. My question is related to Wifi.
If I try to play 4k 60fps Videos via Youtube and it buffers nearly every second. 
My Internetspeed is 200/10- so there is not the issue. 
My home is equipped with an Unifi Nano HD.
The bitrate of the Stick maxes out at about 173 Mbps with the 5Ghz Band (Unifi shows my that the signal is 99% (-49 dBm)).
Shouldn't the rate be much higher? 173 Mbps might be to slow for 4k playback.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Max WiFi Bitrate Roku Streaming Stick Plus- Software 9.0.0

"Manuel86001" wrote:
Hello,

my new 3810 just arrived. My question is related to Wifi.
If I try to play 4k 60fps Videos via Youtube and it buffers nearly every second. 
My Internetspeed is 200/10- so there is not the issue. 
My home is equipped with an Unifi Nano HD.
The bitrate of the Stick maxes out at about 173 Mbps with the 5Ghz Band (Unifi shows my that the signal is 99% (-49 dBm)).
Shouldn't the rate be much higher? 173 Mbps might be to slow for 4k playback.

No, that's an excellent WiFi speed. Remember that there's network overhead, so even with a wired connection your 200 Mbps speed would max out about 175-180 Mbps. Add in the overhead for wireless and 173 is still outstanding.
Ever 4K/60 from YouTube is nowhere near that speed. Both Netflix and Amazon max out with 4K material at less than 20 Mbps. I doubt if YouTube is much higher than that. Your buffering is being caused somewhere else. Using a wired connection with my Ultra, which is only Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) I never get any buffering with 4K material, so your speed isn't an issue. Even through you have a good speed test, there still might be something interfering with your signal. Not as likely on 5 GHz, but still possible. First thing I would try is a different channel on your router. I have no idea how to change that on your router, so you'll have to dig a little. Be aware that there are some 5GHz channels that Roku players can't use. I don't have a list, but I know channel 149 is a safe one.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos