Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddoug
Level 7

MAC address is all zeros...AGAIN

It was only a week or so ago that I got a replacement unit shipped to me. With the previous unit, one day it just wouldn't connect to Netflix or Pandora so I went to set up the network again. It wouldn't connect and suggested I might have MAC filtering on my router (I do) and it said the MAC was 00:00:00:00:00:00. I did a factory reset and then during setup it got to the part where it says "select your network" but there's nothing on the screen to select.

So they shipped me a new one.

So, sometime in the past few days my wireless router lost it's IP address from my ISP. It happens from time to time and I reset the cable modem, do a DHCP renew on the wireless router and I'm back in business. However, now my replacement Roku is doing the same $%^#&@ thing the old one did. MAC address said all zeroes and a factory reset gets me to the same "select your wireless network" yet there's nothing to select. Since I'm posting this from my laptop, connected via wireless, I know darned well my wireless isn't the problem.

Do I have to go round and round with tech support again? This is starting to get me stabby.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Gilgamesh
Level 7

Re: MAC address is all zeros...AGAIN

What is your firmware version?

The last release addressed this issue so, if you are on the latest release, you are having a new problem.

Connect your Roku wired to get the latest release.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Try connecting wired, make certain the latest firmware is installed, and then switch it over to wireless.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Try connecting wired, make certain the latest firmware is installed, and then switch it over to wireless.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith

Beat ya. Smiley Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Smiley LOL
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
ddoug
Level 7

Thanks, I'll give it a try.....but I have to figure out how to connect it. The router is upstairs and the Roku and TV are downstairs lol. Pretty sure I don't have a cable that long (I might)

Gotta ask - since it was live and connected a few days ago, shouldn't it have updated automagically or is that something I have to manually do?

/hoping this fixes it....I go into Pandora withdrawal on weekends
0 Kudos
ddoug
Level 7

Didn't work.

I fired it up, it automatically updated the firmware (2.9 b1553) and in the player information screen I see the MAC is all zeroes. I selected 'check for update' and it said there aren't any.

I may shoot it.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

You said, "In the player information screen." Are you able to navigate the channel selector?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
ddoug
Level 7

Yep, can do everything I want except connect via wireless. I've re-registered the player with Netflix and Pandora already.

The screen I referred to is home->settings->player info

Seems to me both times this happened was when my router didn't have an IP address from the cable modem and resetting the Roku made it flip out.

If this is a bug in the firmware I'll be more than happy to help out. I'm a sys admin (that codes) so I may be of more help than the average John Q.

/eyeing the USB port on the Roku lol
0 Kudos
ddoug
Level 7

p.s: pm me if you want
0 Kudos