Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laura5
Level 7

Lost remote, devise wont connect with App

Hi, I hooked up a new router today, I'm trying to get online, but it's not connecting to my roku tv. It searches for the device, but keeps saying that message. I have to use the mobile app because the kids once again lost the remote. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Lost remote, devise wont connect with App

You can't use the app until it's connected.  You must have a remote.  If it's a TV you can just get a universal remote that supports your brand of TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Lost remote, devise wont connect with App

The Roku app on a phone or tablet can only connect to a Roku that is already set up and connected to the same network the phone or tablet is on. That means the app can't be used to connect and do anything with a Roku not yet set up on your current network.

Meanwhile, assuming it has not undergone a factory reset, your Roku is still trying to connect to your former network name (SSID) with your former network's password. If you can configure your network router to use the same SSID and password as you had before your Roku should connect to it. Connect your phone or tablet to that same network and you should be able to control your Roku with the Roku app again.

Otherwise, you'll need to have a remote compatible with your Roku model to set up your connection to the new network/password.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos