Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Lost original remote, have a universal Roku remote, having WiFi issues. Help!!

Basically I renamed the WiFi and gave it a new password which ended up disconnecting all our devices from that WiFi. In an effort to reconnect all the devices back up, we realized the Original Roku remote was nowhere to be found. We typically use the Roku Remote App but since the Roku (on the TV) hasn’t been connected to the WiFi, the app shows the device as unavailable. Our roommates have a Roku remote that we can use. But every article I have read says that to connect a new Roku remote to an existing device, you need to go into settings and update, which we can’t due to the remote/WiFi problem. I know we need a physical remote, which we have, and it has the pairing button on the battery part. I don’t know what steps to take from here.  Please Help!! Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Lost original remote, have a universal Roku remote, having WiFi issues. Help!!

What's the model number of the Roku (written on it somewhere and I really hope it's not a purple stick) and what's the model number of the remote (written inside the battery compartment)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Lost original remote, have a universal Roku remote, having WiFi issues. Help!!

@renojim wrote:

What's the model number of the Roku (written on it somewhere and I really hope it's not a purple stick) and what's the model number of the remote (written inside the battery compartment)?

It’s a Roku 2 XD model #:3050X

Remote model# : RC-AL2

@renojim So sorry I didn’t see your reply earlier!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Ok, a couple of issues here.  First. the Roku 2 XD is pretty old and no longer supported, so it may not be worth getting a new remote.  Second, the remote that came with it was an IR remote.  It supports the Bluetooth remote that came with the Roku 2 XS (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  It doesn't support the newer Wi-Fi direct remotes like the one you're trying to pair.  If you really want to use it, try looking for a cheap universal IR remote that states it supports Roku.  They can be found at most big box stores and often in dollar stores.

0 Kudos