Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkIT
Level 8

Lost ISP Service, Now Roku Isn't Reconnecting

Jump to solution

Lost our Frontier underlying internet connection about 40 minutes ago.  It was flaky for about 10 minutes, but came back up and is not working.  The  Roku Express has not been able to reconnect, regardless of being unplugged for a minute and then replugged in.  Tried calling, but there is just a message that due to COVID-19, there is no phone support available.  VERY disappointing.  The service has been unreliable enough before this, but dead in the water and zero ability to contact them?  

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@MarkIT  Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out! If you're having trouble getting connected to your network, please follow the steps listed here to troubleshoot the issue: https://support.roku.com/article/208755728-what-should-i-do-if-i-cannot-connect-to-my-home-network-o...

You might also try going into Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network connection reset, and resetting your network settings. Then, go to Settings>Network>Set up connection and go through the process of connecting to your network once more. 

Based on the information you described, this sounds like it could be an issue that is still occurring with your wireless network or router. I would recommend contacting your ISP for more help rebooting your wireless router, and seeing what assistance they can offer to help get your device connected once more. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Lost ISP Service, Now Roku Isn't Reconnecting

Jump to solution

@MarkIT  Thanks for following up. To clarify, we did not observe any outages in our systems. I believe the issue you encountered relates to the issue you observed with your ISP's connection. I'm glad things are back on track for you! 

If you need additional help, you can reach out to our support team via email here: https://support.roku.com/contactus

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
MarkIT
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks, Tanner...  all I can say is my internet was working fine, including my getting online here and putting up my post.  Wherever my Roku Express was trying to connect to and establish a link was busted, but it was *not* in accessing the internet. 

I'm not sure exactly which ports and protocols the Express is utilizing, but it rarely has a problem connecting.  I'm on fiber with a generally rock-solid, high-bandwidth connection - that 'blipped' and came back within a couple minutes.  It's always possible some router needed to be rebooted that was holding onto connections but had 'lost its mind' - but that's just as easily a Roku device, too.  My internet was getting all over the country, and it's dual-connected for redundant paths.  The only problem was the Express couldn't connect.  Thanks again...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@MarkIT  Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out! If you're having trouble getting connected to your network, please follow the steps listed here to troubleshoot the issue: https://support.roku.com/article/208755728-what-should-i-do-if-i-cannot-connect-to-my-home-network-o...

You might also try going into Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network connection reset, and resetting your network settings. Then, go to Settings>Network>Set up connection and go through the process of connecting to your network once more. 

Based on the information you described, this sounds like it could be an issue that is still occurring with your wireless network or router. I would recommend contacting your ISP for more help rebooting your wireless router, and seeing what assistance they can offer to help get your device connected once more. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
MarkIT
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks, Tanner...  my Roku Express just kept trying boot (the R O K U jumping up and down) and nothing happening.  My internet (Frontier FIOS) had dropped and then came back up and was working fine.  Something appears to have happened at the Roku server end as my device was unable to connect to the servers for about half an hour (couldn't 'call home') - while the internet connectivity was just fine.

After about 30 minutes, it did finally successfully reboot and we are back up and running.

I was pretty disappointed there was no customer service, though.  There should at least be some online message of an outage and an ETR available (when that's known).  

RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@MarkIT  Thanks for following up. To clarify, we did not observe any outages in our systems. I believe the issue you encountered relates to the issue you observed with your ISP's connection. I'm glad things are back on track for you! 

If you need additional help, you can reach out to our support team via email here: https://support.roku.com/contactus

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Apat75
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same here my Roku devices will not connect back to my wireless internet at all, been sense being knoked offline it's been about 12 hours. My Android steaming device is working fine and up to speed but both Roku devices in my home are no go's👎👎

0 Kudos
MarkIT
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks, Tanner...  all I can say is my internet was working fine, including my getting online here and putting up my post.  Wherever my Roku Express was trying to connect to and establish a link was busted, but it was *not* in accessing the internet. 

I'm not sure exactly which ports and protocols the Express is utilizing, but it rarely has a problem connecting.  I'm on fiber with a generally rock-solid, high-bandwidth connection - that 'blipped' and came back within a couple minutes.  It's always possible some router needed to be rebooted that was holding onto connections but had 'lost its mind' - but that's just as easily a Roku device, too.  My internet was getting all over the country, and it's dual-connected for redundant paths.  The only problem was the Express couldn't connect.  Thanks again...

0 Kudos
MarkIT
Level 8

Jump to solution

...the most frustrating part was zero customer service available.  Anywhere.

Apat75
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information I'll probably reboot my wireless router.

TCobb
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having a similar problem. last night I lost my internet wireless connection while watching a show. I have tried all the things on the Roku website to no avail. I have no problem with the wi-fi connection to my laptop. This is the only way I have found to connect with anyone about it. I have had Roku for about 4 years.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@TCobb 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips on our Support page here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

If adjusting your wireless network (changing the wireless broadcast channel, etc.) isn't helping, send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device. I'll get you in touch with our support team to see if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos