Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lgb0250
Level 7

Losing WiFi connection

Started in earnest two days ago. Seems like one or twice an hour I get a message saying I have lost the wife connection. I’m using a Streaming Stick with Sling tv. I was thinking about calling Sling and then realized it was happening repeatedly on my Tablo also. These two services are tied together with the Roku so that’s why I’m assuming it’s more of a Roku problem than anything else. Every time it happens I go to settings and do the connection over and it connects right away so that tells me it’s not a internet problems at all. Looking for a fix because I’m getting tire enough of this that I’m about to switch devices. Have tried rebooting and unplugging the Roku with no success. Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Losing WiFi connection

Get one of these and see if it helps.

-JT
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

"Lgb0250" wrote:
Started in earnest two days ago. Seems like one or twice an hour I get a message saying I have lost the wife connection. I’m using a Streaming Stick with Sling tv. I was thinking about calling Sling and then realized it was happening repeatedly on my Tablo also. These two services are tied together with the Roku so that’s why I’m assuming it’s more of a Roku problem than anything else. Every time it happens I go to settings and do the connection over and it connects right away so that tells me it’s not a internet problems at all. Looking for a fix because I’m getting tire enough of this that I’m about to switch devices. Have tried rebooting and unplugging the Roku with no success. Thanks

A friend of mine is having the same issue with Tablo. He says the Tablo forums are filled with complaints.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

It’s not happening as frequently on Tablo as it is on Sling and the only thing these two have in common is the Roku! I had an Roku HDMI extender that I tried earlier today that made no difference at all. Within 20 minutes it also lost connection! Don’t think it’s my internet connection since I’ve got an excellent connection. When watching with a Streaming Stick (same model) in the bedroom while I’m watching in the LR my wife says no disconnects at all in the BR? I think I have a defective 3800X in the LR.
0 Kudos
Mikenz
Level 7

likely too simple to be a factor but on the off chance have you checked recently to see if someone has setup a wifi channel that overlaps yours? my sister had similar issues went & scanned channels and found the default channel her modem picked was also the same as several of her neighbors. one so powerful it was only 3-5dbm difference. 

simple to change channels once you know which is best or worst. i did that for her and she's been good since. i didn't want to deal with it anymore, for her, so i gave her a google wifi system at Christmas which picks the best channel and changes as conditions warrant. again you likely know all this but never hurts to put the info out there. hopefully you've got it resolved by now.
0 Kudos
sandyut
Level 7

I turned off the "auto channel" setting on all ghz options and chose fixed channels and it fixed this issue and several others on other devices.  it was magical!
0 Kudos