Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bsk
Reel Rookie

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

They are happy seeing their Roku shares flying high and minting cash,  they least care about the customers to whom they sell the products.

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Eventually people catch on... whether it is their first purchase or their 3rd purchase trying to fix it. Eventually, each will have their last purchase. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you ignore your customers. They will be forced to fix it or go out of business in the future, but the big wigs already made their money. This falls onto the day-to-day workers within Roku. And it stems solely from not fixing things when people tell them what is wrong. Strong supporters will eventually stop supporting if they continue to ignore the issue.

Jump to solution

I have done this. It will work for that day and then when I come back the next day same problem. I am using the RokuTv 32”. I even increased my internet package to see if that would help improve the connection/streaming. Still no luck. Same problem. Make sure connection is on and connected prior to streaming and it will work for a small period of time and then an error will come up saying please check your network connection and try again. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Fstran02862

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this helps the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes, and turning it on and off repeatedly. While it does the job of making you feel like you're doing something, the only thing that is common among all issues is Roku programming.

If you are here to help and you have access to the programmers, let them know 3MB bandwidth is not enough for the Roku device to stream at today's needs. It appears that Roku uses an ancient method of pulling WiFi for use by the apps. This is a huge flaw in the programming and Roku needs to fix it.

No amount of end-user tiddly-winks are going to get it running. It's like having an engine issue in your car and we keep trying different gears. None of them are going to work unless the engine gets fixed.

This is not a isolated issue. It is rampant with all Roku owners, many with their Rokus right next to a 200MB Wifi where everything else in the house is running just fine. It is Roku and only Roku that is getting 3MB connection, simmering down to 2 and then 1 and then "error".

Again, this is not a user-fixable issue, it is a Roku issue. The users are having to deal with it, be frustrated by it and have tried everything. I have not yet tried putting a lemon peel in my belly button, but I'm thinking the result would be similar.

CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

But it is not all doomsday. I think I can help... At this point with Roku probably not even going to look into it, everyone can mark this thread solved if they try any one of the following (Amazon/Comcast/Apple TV/Technicolor probably the best quick fixes):

Comcast
RealNetworks
Amazon Fire TV
Nvidia Shield TV
Apple TV
Humax
Skyworth
Technicolor
ABOX42

0 Kudos
Dleader
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, roku does not recognize the 5ghz band only 2.4ghz. switching back and forth does not reset the roku connection. Connection last up to 17 hours at a time if not used or 2.5 hours if used. Bandwidth saver is off.

0 Kudos
RJalder
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Was having internet connection issues with Roku+ using WiFi and an Ultra that was hardwired. Was also having a separate issue with a new iPhone not connecting to the internet and WiFi calling. To make a long troubleshooting story short I ended up replacing my 5 year old hardwired router with an up to date wireless router and new access points. It’s been about a month and I haven’t had any issues with any of the Roku’s or the iPhone. 

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yeah, definitely if you are having issues with your devices around the house, the WiFi would be the issue. But if Roku is the only thing having the problem, a new WiFi router is just an extra $100+ expense that is not needed. Replacing a Roku device with something else is less expensive and lasts longer. But I do wish you the best of luck with the Roku.

0 Kudos
okulo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm bored with this thread and Roku's disinterest as exemplified by the half-a***ed response.

As far as I see it, Roku can't fix this cheaply as a device which cannot connect cannot download firmware and when I connected it via USB it did not appear in the system profile so USB flashing seems to be out of the question. Kicking the can down the road is all Roku can do to avoid an expensive recall. It may be a short term corporate solution but will be damaging in the long run.

So, I'm unsubscribing. I have effectively binned my Roku Premiere and have two old Roku Streaming Sticks which work for now but I will never buy a Roku product again.