Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still experiencing an issue regarding losing internet connectivity to your Roku device, it would be helpful to know who is your ISP (internet service provider) and what Roku model device you are using.

If your internet service provider is Comcast or AT&T, we would recommend changing your router settings for 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
yobra
Binge Watcher

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

I have Cox internet and use the 5g available on my router/modem and the Roku stick. I've had techs out here multiple times and they cannot find the issue. The WiFi goes out like today at least twice a day. Router lit up, Internet not out also. Wifi goes out in all devices connected to it. Frustrating at the highest so I just may try a different device and not use Roku anymore. Thanks for your information!!

0 Kudos
Seminolegranny
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

WOW is my internet provider. I have “Roku Express/HD Streaming Media Player w/high speed HDMI cable & simple remote. I’ve decided to just buy a smart TV….not Roku. My unit is in our bedroom. I do not have the time to keep messing with this since I have a husband who is going through aggressive radiation & chemo, and this was our TV that would help him take his mind off the after effects. No more Roku in our household. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @yobra,

Thanks for the post.

Apologies for the inconvenience. We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing

- What Roku model device are you using?
- As mentioned that you have 5 GHz, have you tried to ensure your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? Some Roku devices like Roku Premiere and Roku Express are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on 2.4 GHz. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

We appreciate your patience with this matter and please let us know so we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Seminolegranny,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would like to know how to identify and resolve any wireless connection issues.

Please be noted that you have the Roku Express and it is a single-band wireless device which means it only supports a 2.4 GHz connection. Your Roku Express will not recognize the 5Ghz network. You need to make sure that your 2.4 GHz network is active by using your mobile phone and check if you can detect the 2.4 GHz network. We also suggest you reach out to your Internet Service Provider or ISP for assistance in checking if the 2.4 GHz network is active and not hidden.
I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku Support 

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
yobra
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hello Mary,

I had 2.4 before I purchased my new all in one router that has 5g capabilities. So the stick and premier I have were disconnecting on 2.4 ghz. The router is next to the TV so it's not far from the device.

Bill

0 Kudos
yobra
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Also when I set up the Roku on wifi, it connects to the 5g, I have both available on the router, 2.4 also. I can go into my router and change anything so I don't need to contact Cox. There's an update on the device that created this issue as other people have commented on here.

0 Kudos
Invexxed

Jump to solution

Why not just have the problem patched or update the hardware it's been 2 years since this problem was posted about and there's been no "fix" just "this can help". I'm not going to change my router or wifi settings and risk messing up the rest of my devices that are connected and work for the roku the sometimes decides to not work. I have the same problem every 2 & 1/2 to 3 hours it disconnects, otherwise it's solid when it works.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have 6 Roku devices. All work great. 3 Streaming Stick+, 1 Roku Ultra and 2 Roku TV's. People don't under how WiFI works. 2.4GHz travels farther then 5.0GHz but is slower. 5.0GHz is faster but does not travel as far. All my devices are on the 5.0GHz except for the one in the garage since that is the farthest away from the gateway. About 75'. Roku OS now chooses the best connection for you actually. My TCL Roku 65" tells me to use 5.0GHz. It all depends upon distance from the Roku to modem. Also is your house full oc concrete walls, plaster or brick? 

0 Kudos
counselor
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Why do other streaming devices work without all the workarounds?  People just want to enjoy the streaming and not have to worry about the technology.

0 Kudos