Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
counselor
Streaming Star

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Ditto Chromecast with Google TV.  So many better ways to go.

0 Kudos

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

This happens every few days.

The Roku is the only device having issues. No other devices are having this issue.

I have found today that the Roku is loosing its IP address. None of the recommended trouble shooting has worked.

My temporary fix has been to login into the router through my PC, make no changes but save the Name and Password of the router.  Of course this knocks every other device on the network offline (pissing of the rest of the family).

This cannot continue to be the solution!

How do I determine which device is the issue and/or a more permanent solution?

0 Kudos
Klutz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You could check to see if you are up to version 10.0  I was told this should fix my problem, but since I can not connect, I can not upgrade.

0 Kudos
yobra
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well I decided to hook my Roku stick back up and see if the problem was my Roku premier device.  Stick hadn't been used in like 3 yrs, updated, connected to wireless and its running on 5g now. Seemed to be working great, but the last 2 nights  around 9:30 it disconnected again. 

Have Cox coming out today to check everything,  wiring etc to see why it continues to do this. Router/ modem brand new,  so it's got to be there internet!

0 Kudos
Notatech
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s a Roku premiere and now it won’t link to the wireless at all. . I unplugged everything and plugged back in . Nothing. The router is from Spectrum and chooses the channel automatically, although it didn’t work with the Nighthawk router either. Old Roku that I can use Ethernet works, although that started to have issues with sound and buffering which is why I bought a new one.

is there a particular model that works? Anyone? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Notatech, is your Premiere a model 3920?  Mine is complete garbage and I've seen plenty of other posts implying the same.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Notatech
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes. That’s the one. Model number 3920. Completely useless.  They should offer a recall because it’s too late to get my money back and it’s less than 3 months old. 

Can you recommend one that works? 

Or some other way I can stream things short of buying a new TV. I’m so annoyed with roku I’d love to boycott them the rest of my life but it seems like they’re the only good option. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If it's only 3 months old it should still be under warranty.  You should try to go that route:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Roku-Returns-and-Warranty-Information/td-...

To be honest, I try to avoid the Wi-Fi only devices which pretty much only leaves the Ultra.  They also have sound bar devices with built in Rokus, but I don't have a use for them.  I only have the cheaper devices for testing or because they were so darn cheap I couldn't resist.  Other than the 3920 they've been pretty reliable, but I don't use them much other than one that's a dedicated local music streamer and isn't connected to the Internet.

Some of their latest products are Wi-Fi only, but allow you to connect a USB Ethernet adapter.  I don't have any yet, but this sounds intriguing because you have a backup if the Wi-Fi goes belly up or isn't reliable.  I realize that not everyone can run an Ethernet cable everywhere, but if you can that's the way go in my opinion.  If your router is already close by your TV I don't see any reason to use Wi-Fi.

One last note about the "sticks":   Another reason I avoid them is because if the remote dies you have to get a new Roku remote - no option to use a cheap universal IR remote and no 3rd party Wi-Fi direct remotes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
wb2dyb
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This has been a mystery for over a year. Roku suddenly (three of them) would not connect to my WRT1900 but would connect to a WRT54G, my iphone, the neighbors router. Just not mine. And nothing changed on the router though Roku did push out a firmware "upgrade" when this happened. So my work around was to feed my WRT54G from the 1900 and use the Rokus that way. Now at some point it all started working again. Don't know if it was another firmware upgrade. But I have now installed v10 and it all works fine. But if a used has no way to wifi connect how can you do the upgrade?? Might I suggest to see if you can hotspot your smartphone and connect to it to do the upgrade..??

0 Kudos
ipaulav

Jump to solution

Keeps happening as well as remote stops working new batteries.  Is it time to move to fire stick?

0 Kudos