Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

For me the FireTV stick was the most user friendly. Works plug and play just like Roku. They don't yet support Peacock, so if you want that, you can either install it through the side door, or you could try Chromecast which many seem to have success with (I haven't tried it). FireTV has the most support that I've found and haven't had to reset my router once. Just unplug Roku, plug in FireTV and you have the same basic concept for channels and apps like Roku, only without the constant buffering or having to know anything about your router settings, the channels that are used or what your neighbors are using. I prefer the programmers to take all of that into account and have it work when I plug it in... and continue to work. It let's me worry about what I want to watch instead of how to figure out how to watch it.

CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

If you are losing wifi on your phone as well, it might not be the cable provider. It could however be the wifi device (either part of or a separate unit from the main modem (for lack of better word)). A lot of times the cable company will give you a modem and then a separate router that connects to the modem and allows for wifi throughout the home. The wifi (router) the cable company has is pretty basic. If you have a large home or a lot of devices, it can give you problems. I dumped the cable router (kept the main modem) and hooked up a TP-Link Archer A9. That did me fine until I integrated all of my switches phones, computers, lights, music, etc. and ended up with well over 20 devices. At that point, I just spent the money for a TP Link "mesh" network that allows for like 100 devices with full home coverage. I plug one directly into the router, and then one on the far side of the house (just plugged into the wall) and one upstairs (just plugged into the wall). I also have Echos pretty much everywhere so I just talk to my house and it does everything for me. I can even tell TP Link to turn on the guest network when we have visitors. No settings or anything. Just "Alexa, tell TP Link to turn on the guest network." and Boom! it does it.  🙂

But Roku... oh no... log into your router, check the settings, update this, modify that, make sure you're not on a channel your neighbors are on, oh the fun you can have with a router. But it is all inconsequential and not needed. Technology should work when you plug it in. It is why you buy a finished product instead of all the pieces and put it together yourself. If you sell me a coffee maker, I shouldn't have to figure out how reroute the wiring after taking it out of the box.

If it is just Roku, I'd say switch hardware (Chromecast/FireTV), but if it is multiple things on your network, either have the cable company come out and check the router (they can't really tell that on their end... they can only check that the modem is pulling a signal... not that the router is functioning properly for wifi), or buy a router and just hook it up in place of the one the cable company gave you. Technology is simple and easy if it is programmed correctly.

0 Kudos
ifix

Jump to solution

I have the small  Roku box (about 3 inches x 1 1/2 inches), it was disconnecting from the internet every 30 - 45 minutes and driving me crazy.  I tried all the 'remedies' that helped some people, but not me.  I picked up the small Roku box once, and noticed that it was very hot.  I thought that maybe this 'overheating' was the cause for the constant 'disconnecting' from the internet.  I put some ice cubes in a plastic baggie, and placed it on top of the Roku box, and it has NOT disconnected ever since (about 3 days now).  Hopefully this is the fix.  Hope it helps you guys.  It's definitely an easy fix, and worth a shot.  Try it.

DHG3
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same problem here. Several fairly new Roku devices in the house. Suddenly none will connect to my Linksys router. All other wi-fi devices doing fine. Roku will connect to iPhone hotspot though.  Maybe an issue with a soft or firmware update?

CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Ice on the box. That's actually kind of funny. I wonder if they'll start selling them in the frozen section of Best Buy, with some dry ice? Smiley LOL

If you can still bring it back, and pick up a Firestick or Chromecast, you'll probably save money on plastic bags and ice in the long run. But if it works, it is something current Roku owners would certainly appreciate I'm sure! I have a couple of spare Roku's laying around. Anyone want to buy them? I'll throw in a plastic bag. Smiley Happy

counselor
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

LOL

Lenny1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks Much !!!!

0 Kudos
FS57

Jump to solution

Same here, my Roku was working fine until last week, now stopped connecting due to poor wireless and no internet connection, it's less than 4m away from the router and my android phone shows 3 out of 4 bars on the same wifi when held next to the Roku

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for reaching out, @FS57.

It sounds like your Roku device may be having trouble connecting to your home network. Please follow the steps here to get up and streaming: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home ... - Roku

We also recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Roku won't connect to the internet

Jump to solution

Sometimes when I try to go to a streaming service I get a green screen with snow and some random pixels not green.  I can hear the program sound clearly however, so I must be connected.  Is this what this thread is about?

0 Kudos