Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mmeneely
Reel Rookie

Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Never fails everyday watching tv on my roku and we lose connection to the internet. My kids are in the other room using the Xbox or on their iPads and they are still connected to the internet, it’s just the roku. Have read thru all the posts and can’t figure out what’s going on. Had Epb come out and bring a new router, it’s nothing wrong with the internet it’s the roku. Please help! It seems to fix itself after a 10 mins or I reset the router. But that’s annoying 

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Schmooey
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Disconnect both HDMI & power cables from your Roku /Roku TV. Turn off your router/modem. Wait about 10 minutes, then turn the router back on, wait 5-10, then reconnect/reinstall the Roku. Once at Home screen, go into settings, network, and do a reset - that will delete your SSID & password, so make certain you know each. Roku will restart, go to settings, network, set up network, select your network from the scan, enter your password, and finally you’ll be connected. Good luck!

View solution in original post

drdave39
Reel Rookie

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

My Spectrum cable modem was the issue! I had all he disconnection issues folks have noted here, and went to Firesticks which did work. However,  service was still slow and unreliable overall. Spectrum came out and checked it and told me my modem was out of date, and installed a new one. Updated to a new router and mesh system for the house at the same time. All my Roku devices work fine now. 

DHG3
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with 5 Roku devices suddenly not connecting to my network when they had been fine the day before.  Went through all the troubleshooting to no avail.  Went poking around in the router settings and turned off "WiFi Protected Set-up" and everything started working normally.  This setting has the router look for a response (PIN or the press of a button on the device) from the device, which the Roku is not equipped to give. This does seem to be temporally associated with some event, e.g., a firmware update, but on which side?  Roku did not seemed to have done an update around the time it happened to me.  I have noticed in these forums that similar events seem to be clustered around certain days. A lot of people had this problem in early March. For me it started in early April. Perhaps different routers updated at different times. I am using a very recent Linksys.  My personal uninformed conspiracy theory is that there is something in the proprietary WPS code that is supplied to the router mfgrs that is triggering the router to look for a WPS response from the Roku devices.  It could happen.

419 REPLIES 419
Melbob1980

Jump to solution

mine does the same but it hasnt came on

RobC3

Jump to solution

Same problem here.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@RobC3 @Mmeneely @Melbob1980 

Thanks for the note. What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About) 

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. In some cases, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Check out some wireless troubleshooting tips here: 
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please let us know what model device you are trying to connect.

We will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

Jump to solution

I have rebooted 10 times, reset my wireless so

much that I went and exchanged my internet box just to make sure I’m not crazy. Went to all of Roku Settings powered down restarted,

set up wireless over and over, updated during the day when it finally worked again and boom, It HAPPENED AGAIN.. It seems to be happening at the same time now for the third day in a row. 1 or 1:15am. My phone works fine my iPad and all the streaming channels are fine on these devices. Fix it or we are going to throw away all 5 of your different Roku devices and go with fire sticks and apple tv. Stop telling people to reboot we aren’t idiots 🙄😣.. customer service would be nice w a live person. Or a page to update customers your system is down.. SOMETHING?

Maybe Roku has reached the end and becoming obsolete. 🤷🏻‍♀️ And if it’s happening because we need to upgrade to the newest devices well then... kick rocks.. our devices are 2 yrs old ... not happening 

Mmeneely
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Exactly! Of course I rebooted everything and sure will come back on but is only a matter of time before it happens again!!

witsend1

Jump to solution

How is it made to work?

Minimar2

Roku Express (3900) Cannot Login with Device

Jump to solution

I cannot login using the Roku device. I can login on my laptop, and I am positive I am using the correct login on my device - have tried many times. I have verified that I am connected to the internet. I've used the device for a couple of years with no problems, but now all it says is that there is a problem with the username or password.

devonsvoice
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same here. Started last night. Both streaming sticks have been slowing down since last week’s Roku update and now I have to unplug them for awhile before watching TV, every time. 

bwcoppola
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ditto. I have two TVs, each with a Roku Express. One has stopped connecting to the wireless signal. Multiple attempts at restarting the Roku and the router have failed, as has manually re-entering the router ID and password. No other devices have any trouble connecting anywhere in the house.