Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Slack29
Level 7

LOW SIGNAL STRENTH (one unit out of 3 the other 3 have full signal at the same location)

I am having issues with my 3900X - Roku Express unit.

I am running version 9.2.0 build 4806-51

I tried to put it for an HDMI extender but it does not accept the serial number on the software or the one printed on the back of the ROKU unit itself... I cannot contact customer support as they recommend me putting in for an extender cable which I cannot do and I can't contact customer support about that either.

We have 3 different ROKU expresses in the house, other two have a strong signal in the same location.

I do have my own longer HDMI cables, however, moving the unit away from the TV and moving the wireless router closer to the unit do not improve the signal strength whatsoever.

I believe there is an issue with this ROKU box.

Can anyone help out with a solution that doesn't include me replacing the unit?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: LOW SIGNAL STRENTH (one unit out of 3 the other 3 have full signal at the same location)

@Slack29 wrote:

I am having issues with my 3900X - Roku Express unit.

I am running version 9.2.0 build 4806-51

I tried to put it for an HDMI extender but it does not accept the serial number on the software or the one printed on the back of the ROKU unit itself... I cannot contact customer support as they recommend me putting in for an extender cable which I cannot do and I can't contact customer support about that either.

We have 3 different ROKU expresses in the house, other two have a strong signal in the same location.

I do have my own longer HDMI cables, however, moving the unit away from the TV and moving the wireless router closer to the unit do not improve the signal strength whatsoever.

I believe there is an issue with this ROKU box.

Can anyone help out with a solution that doesn't include me replacing the unit?

Several points, in no particular order:

The free Roku extender cable is only for the Roku stick products and is only about 3 inches long to extend the stick a couple of inches away from the tv set HDMI connection.  Yours is not a stick, so that's why the serial number is rejected.

You actually can be too near the router and have a signal strong enough to overpower the electronics in the Roku.  If bringing the Roku and router closer together doesn't help, try moving them further apart.

These things are just little special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes you just need to clear things out by restarting them.
Settings > System > System restart
After it restarts, try to re-establish your wifi connection.
Settings > Network > Set up connection > Wireless

Although it makes no sense to me, I've found that restarting the router can sometimes fix up wifi problems with a Roku, even when other devices have no troubles on the same network.  It may be necessary to restart  your Roku again and again set up your wifi connection

Express units only connect to wifi on the 2.4 GHz band.  This can be pretty crowded with interfering signals, especially if you have near neighbors.  You might be able to improve things by setting your router to use a different channel in the 2.4 GHz band.

As a last resort, you can try a factory reset on the problem Roku.  This will put it back to fresh-out-of-the-box status so you'll have to set the unit up again from scratch.

If all else fails and different Express units hooked to the same TV in the same location work fine, that does indicate a likely problem with the one unit.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Slack29
Level 7

Re: LOW SIGNAL STRENTH (one unit out of 3 the other 3 have full signal at the same location)

I have done all of those things, again, 2 other Roku express devices were hooked up to the same tv in the same location and had full signal, i tried this device in another location, still a poor signal.. I think it is the unit itself.

0 Kudos
Lee4
Level 7

I am having the same problem. Can’t connect to the internet. I was able to connect to my hotspot on my phone for about 15 minutes. Now I can’t connect to the hotspot either. I restarted everything several times and it won’t connect. Additionally the box is hot. I’m just going to replace the Roku box.

0 Kudos