Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imcdona
Level 7

It's 2018 and Roku still lacks IPv6 support

Still waiting for IPv6 support on Roku. FireTV supports IPv6, Chromecast supports IPv6, Apple TV supports IPv6, and yet Roku is the lone holdout, why?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: It's 2018 and Roku still lacks IPv6 support

Since virtually all home networks are still IPv4 (yes, perhaps with IPv6 also tagging along), it really wouldn't make a difference in operation. I believe my DSL router can switch the packets to v6 for Internet access. Configuring home networks for IPv6 beyond default settings is still not for the novice. When IPv4 is completely eliminated from the Internet, it might be necessary. Most opinions about the death of IPv4 says 2035 or later. I think we still have some breathing space.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 9

A lot of ISP still do not support IPv6. Not all routers currently do either (most are disabled by default). And not like it really does any good to home users yet. Figure within 10 years we will start to see almost everything support it. Roku does not even have a 1 gig ethernet port..
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

People have been screaming "the sky is falling" about IPv4/IPv6 for 20 years. Nothing's happened yet.
0 Kudos
Napsterbater
Level 7

IPv6 has been around longer than Roku has existed, no excuse for them not  to have it yet. ARIN is OUT OF IPv4 addresses. Many new and/or smaller ISPs are forced to CGNAT for IPv4 because they simply can't get enough IPv4's, causing other issues.

Here is a use case, Users on a smaller ISP wants to host a Plex server at home and connect from remote or allow family to, Said smaller ISP has CGNAT IPv4 and Native IPv6. Thus the Plex server is only accessible via IPv6. that automatically disqualifies using a Roku because they do not support IPv6.

The world is going IPv6 that is not up for debate. Heck Windows XP had IPv6 available. had to be manually enabled but it was there, That came out in 2001!

Also most current router do have IPv6 support available, many ISPs are rolling IPv6 out.

IPv4 is on life support.

My 2 Rokus Sticks (R3600) are the ONLY devices on my network that do not support IPv6. Even the HP Printer has IPv6.... I mean come on.
0 Kudos
CV27
Level 7

I can't disagree with your point.  On the other hand, I would think most users have a totally local LAN setup, so they will obviously never run out of addresses on a private (typically) 192.x.x.x

And IPv4 & IPv6 get translated back and forth once in public.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

I have access to 5 local ISPs, none of which support v6.
0 Kudos
nonparity
Level 7

I am surprised your 5 isp's do not offer ipv6. In my area the he two major ones in Albuquerque(CenturyLink & Comcast) both support ipv6 and I know of two local mom/pop isp's that support it too. But to be fair I also know of two local isp's that do not offer it. Roku should support it as they do not have a valid technical reason why they should not support the standard. 
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"nonparity" wrote:
I am surprised your 5 isp's do not offer ipv6. In my area the he two major ones in Albuquerque(CenturyLink & Comcast) both support ipv6 and I know of two local mom/pop isp's that support it too. But to be fair I also know of two local isp's that do not offer it. Roku should support it as they do not have a valid technical reason why they should not support the standard. 

If it would increase the price per box, then they've got a valid reason, though not technical. Most likely, their thinking is that there's not a single home router setup that doesn't support ipv4, therefore it's not a pressing issue (especially in 2018). I can't foresee a time in the next 20 years where home devices wouldn't support both ipv4 and ipv6 networks, even if the greater internet has completely moved over by then. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"imcdona" wrote:
Still waiting for IPv6 support on Roku. FireTV supports IPv6, Chromecast supports IPv6, Apple TV supports IPv6, and yet Roku is the lone holdout, why?

What is the actual impact this is having on you?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos