Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thorcaption5
Level 7

Is this the one case where extender would be better than mesh router?

I live in a large home 4000 st including 2 storey and basement. It was built about 2 years ago. The way they build houses now they set all your network/tv/phone to come in in one corner or the basement. (That's where the modem is) From the basement there is an ethernet cable going to the main floor living room (one end of the house), one going to the main floor den (other end of the house) and one going upstairs in the bedroom. If I put a wireless router on the main floor at either end, the wifi does not reach the other end. My understanding is that if I used the living room ethernet cable to plug in a mesh router it will create network A If I plus a nod in the office using the ethernet cable is have running there it will create network B. Same thing with bedroom cable would make network C. Seems like the ideal solution would be to have a mesh router in the basement connected to the three cables and then place nods at the end of the cables to have one network. Problem is I can't find a mesh router that has 3 ports!! Am I better to put a regular router next to my modem downstairs and use wired extender in the living room, den and bedroom? Thanks for any input.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
twiceover
Level 13

Re: Is this the one case where extender would be better than mesh router?

Get a network switch ($20), problem solved.  Plug your modem into the wan of the router, plug the switch into the lan of the router (assuming you only have 1-2 lan ports going my what you are stating) and just like that you have as many ports as you bought a switch for.

now I think you are a little confused on the networks portion.  A mesh system should only create a single network that you devices roam between.  So it is not NetA, NetB, NetC, it is just "NEtwork A" or whatever you name it.

This all makes some assumptions about your home setup such as that you have just a dumb modem from your provider without a router built in and that you would be buying a mesh network that has ethernet uplinks (some are just wifi->wifi).

0 Kudos
Karmagedon
Level 10

@twiceover good feedback.

I’ve been using a AmpliFi mesh network and could not not be happier.  The setup is pretty simple, and you get a completely wireless single network as @twiceover said, not multiple networks.  Oh, the nodes are all wireless too.  Coverage has been great.  

0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 13

@Karmagedon wrote:

@twiceover good feedback.

I’ve been using a AmpliFi mesh network and could not not be happier.  The setup is pretty simple, and you get a completely wireless single network as @twiceover said, not multiple networks.  Oh, the nodes are all wireless too.  Coverage has been great.  

Yes.  Amplifi is a pretty good product.  I can't remember for sure, but I believe you **Can** hard wire the nodes which then increases the wireless bandwidth.  But that could be a different product.

Personally I use Ubiquiti's UAP line at home and it's been great.  I have 7 Roku units of varying type and have never had any wifi issues like other users have mentioned in posts.

0 Kudos