Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DE42

Re: Is There something going on with rokus connecting to the internet

I understand there are ongoing issues since the latest software update. Work arounds have been suggested. One - a complete reset, resulting in losing all your settings and preferences, is a last resort for me.The alternative instructs you to go to HOME with your remote. How can you do that if remote doesn’t work?  My remote still controls on/off & volume but nothing else. I can only navigate Roku with remote in app. I have reset my modem. I have a good wi-if signal. The issue is not my provider. It’s Roku. 

0 Kudos
TimSlattery
Reel Rookie

I just went through that. I found that the Roku does not like wifi passwords that include punctuation marks. When I changed my wifi password to remove the ! that was in it, the Roku connected instantly and has worked perfectly since.

0 Kudos
skypilot18
Channel Surfer

I get the connection error. The box wouldn't come on, normally after I switched to HDMI2 I got the screen saver. That was how the older one worked too. At first I thought it was just the cable, but it wasn't.  Just for the heck of it I pushed you have to do it twice sometime. Home page come up.  Screen resolution was off and I had to change that, but my grandson was here and fixed that on the TV end for me. The last reply I got from customer service was try the factory reset, I'm not going to do that and then still have the issue. I can live with just turning it on until maybe they figure out what they did and come up with a fix update or ?

This is what I get.IMG_0490.JPG 

0 Kudos
DE42

@TimSlattery wrote:

I just went through that. I found that the Roku does not like wifi passwords that include punctuation marks. When I changed my wifi password to remove the ! that was in it, the Roku connected instantly and has worked perfectly since.

Thanks, but I’ve been using the same password for two years and it doesn’t include punctuation. I believe this related to the recent software upgrade. 

0 Kudos
Karlmalone
Reel Rookie

I’ve reset the router and factory reset the Roku. It’s no good. I’m about to quit Roku for good. It’s useless to me now.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@skypilot18, look for a new "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power and disable it.  Your issue has nothing to do with an Internet connection.  Pressing Home (or any other non-TV control button) on the remote is how you get it out of power saving, but it's not instantaneous.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
skypilot18
Channel Surfer

Thank you!!  I'm going to try it now.  6 emails with Roku customer service and I did tell them several times about pushing the home button..

0 Kudos
Lunawhite

@makaiguy  THANK YOU! Your BGN suggestion solved this issue for me.

0 Kudos
Slmoon1

How do you change this? I went as far as to buy a new device because mine WILL NOT connect. I have reset it, restarted my.router, everything! 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Slmoon1, do you have Comcast/Xfinity or Cox as your ISP?  If not the b/g/n suggestion may not apply, but it wouldn't hurt to try.  For Xfinity:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

If you don't have Xfinity, post the brand and model number of your router.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos