Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamim

Is There something going on with rokus connecting to the internet

Since yesterday my device has been unable to connect to WIFI. But my computer, phone and xbox can. the signal strength is excellent says the device. I have restarted many times unplugged and ended up doing a factory reset, and still unable to connect. I see many other people posting since yesterday about being able to connect is there something wrong collectively with Roku? Is there a way to contact the company at all? 

73 REPLIES 73
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is There something going on with rokus connecting to the internet

@jamim 

I'm a little confused.

... Since yesterday my device has been unable to connect to WIFI. ...

That doesn't fit with this:

... the signal strength is excellent says the device. ...

If your device won't connect, where are you seeing that the Roku device says you have excellent signal strength? I don't think it reports on networks to which is isn't connected. And if it's connected ... you see why I'm unclear on your issue?

First, stop with the factory resets, for now at least. Let's make sure we've exhausted all other avenues before doing that again.

So, let's confirm whether or not you are connected to your network. What is it that you're seeing or experiencing that indicates you aren't connected?

While we're at it, what device do you have (model number)? Settings > System > About 

Some Roku devices only support 2.4 GHz network, and some networks that are controlled by an ISP will drop 2.4 GHz connectivity, or change the settings from b/g/n to g/n. That will stop Roku from connecting on a 2.4 GHz network.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@jamim-

Might your router be one supplied by your internet provider? If so, your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router. This has been reported lately with equipment from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report the router configuration needs to be switched from g/n security wifi protocols back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Additional resources you might find helpful:

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

I am having the SAME issue! My wifi signal is excellent however my tv will NOT connect, it will connect to my hot spot on my phone and all other tv’s, phone and Mac book will connect 

veerscanlan
Reel Rookie

Getting a similar issue...

coffeeluvr23
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue - strong wifi connection, all other devices have no problem connecting.  I can see my network in the options on my Roku (says excellent strength) it still refuses to connect.

makaiguy

Quoting my prior response:

@makaiguy wrote:

Might your router be one supplied by your internet provider? If so, your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router. This has been reported lately with equipment from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report the router configuration needs to be switched from g/n security back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Symptoms of this particular problem are that the Roku's wifi scan successfully locates your local wifi and reports its signal strength, but is still unable to establish a connection.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Chefclk1980
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem. Everything else is connected to my wifi, but the roku won't. I've restarted it and the router numerous times now. I know it did an update and after that the wifi stopped.

coffeeluvr23
Reel Rookie

I'm not sure what your router configuration letters mean, but I'll see if I can find the information.  Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
veerscanlan
Reel Rookie

This was the issue. After changing the wifi setting to b/g/n and restarting, everything is streaming as it was. Thanks so much!