Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Is Roku4 DLNA compatible with Netgear? Roku 2 and 3 are not

"mjcuadra" wrote:
I have a TCL Roku TV 55S403 and a Netgear R8000 router running DLNA. All other devices including Win 10, mini Mac and IPads can play the files successfully off the wireless network with no problems. The TV however, can see the server, go through the entire file structure on the server; but as soon as I hit play, it hangs on retrieving and eventually goes back to the main menu. There seems to be some issue between Netgear DLNA and Roku Media Player.

Can you post media info on a file that won't play? Need to see if there's a codec issue. I'm pretty sure the Netgear is incapable of transcoding, so the file has to play as is.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mike_s
Level 9

What atc98092 said. What container and codecs are being used? Rokus, other than RokuTVs, don't currently support H.262 ("mpeg2") video.

I play H.264 (mpeg4) video in mkv containers all the time with my Roku, off a miniDLNA (now renamed to ReadyMedia) server, which is what Netgear uses.

Roku should hopefully add support for H.262 soon, because all the patents expired a couple of weeks ago, so there's no longer any licensing cost.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mjcuadra
Level 7

As an experiment, created a subdirectory on M2 drive and created files with MP4, MKV, MTS, Roku 4K.MKV and AVI format. The original file was created by CyberLink PowerDirector14 (MP4 267MB) and the other file formats created by Handbrake for Mac version 1.0.7 with a file size 75MB for MKV, 43MB for 4K Roku MKV and 45MB for MTS. All the files played successfully over DLNA wireless with the exception of the AVI file which did not even list. That would imply that it is not a configuration problem but one rather of file size. The videos attempting to play that hang are all between 1.5 to 3GB. This may be something related to buffering or playing content around 2GB size.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc0000
Level 7

I used a wired connection via a Powerline setup (internet over home electrical wires) and this problem was solved. Dissapointing resolution however as my TCL Roku TVs dont have ethernet ports.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
TonyMathis
Level 7

For those that keep asking about codecs and other files differences, I'm having the same problem however I can play the files fine when I pull them from the windows media server on my desktop.  It's just the readyshare that I can't pull them from with roku.  I can see them but when I try to use one it show file unplayable error.  Again only when I try to pull from the usb readyshare on my netgear wndr4500 using the roku.  And I can pull the files from readyshare just fine over my wired lan desktop and wireless laptop.  I have 3 roku+ and one roku TV and it's the same with all of them.   This seems to be a roku/netgear readyshare specific problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TonyMathis
Level 7

I may have something that will help some of you.  Login to you netgear router via broswer go to advanced and find usb settings near the bottom.  In mine I had approved and available listings with my usb drive listed as available.  I clicked add and it showed up in the approved list.  Now readyshare is working with roku.  Hope this helps

0 Kudos