Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnnNonymous
Level 7

Is Roku4 DLNA compatible with Netgear? Roku 2 and 3 are not

I see from the forums that Roku2 has issues playing DLNA media from the high quality professional Netgear Nighthawk 7000 router. I recently bought a Roku3 and see the same problems. I would be happy to buy a Roku4 if it solved this DLNA incompatibility. Anyone know?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Is Roku4 DLNA compatible with Netgear? Roku 2 and 3 are not

If they follow the DLNA specifications, there should be no issue with any Roku and any DLNA server. I use Serviio, and it works fine with my 2 XS, 4 and Stick. Of course, all Roku players support a limited number of audio and video codecs. If your videos contain MPEG2 video (as all DVD rips do), then they must be transcoded to play on a Roku. The exception (to my knowledge) is that a Roku TV supports MPEG2 video. Other than that, the video must be H.264/MP4 (Roku 4 supports H.265) and the audio must be AC3 or AAC. I believe another limitation is the AAC can't be 5.1 multi-channel, only stereo is supported. Few NAS devices (and I consider a router that provides DLNA support one) have the necessary power to transcode video well enough to provide smooth streaming.

One other thought. Older Roku players can not support a DLNA stream at a bitrate much higher than 16 Mbps. Virtually any HD video will exceed that, and will again require transcoding. The Roku 4 and the newest Stick seem to handle HD video with no issues. I've streamed video that I've measured the bitrate in excess of 35 Mbps with no issues on both the 4 and the Stick.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

Just to add a bit to what atc98092 said, i use minidlna on a Linksys running OpenWrt and if i remember right, and a quick googling seems to confirm, Netgear uses ReadyMedia, which is just minidlna rebranded. Minidlna streams fine to my Roku 1 and 3, i'm sure Netgear tweaked the way ReadyMedia handles the dlna database, but i have no idea what other changes, if any, they may have made, so if there's a problem it's most likely not on Roku's end, but because Netgear made a regressive tweak.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

@OP,
We sorry for the trouble this configuration is causing.
Is the Roku connected via wired or wireless?
If wireless, have you tried wired?
rokudale
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Are there any Roku RMP users out there having trouble with the Netgear Nighthawk? Please contact me. I might need a sample video file that you are trying to play.
thanks
rokudale
0 Kudos
bo9877
Level 7

I have an R7000 and a Roku 2. The roku is connected to my home network over Ethernet. Roku RMP will play MKV files without issue, but will always hang while attempting to play an MP4/M4V file. If I want to play any of my MP4 media from my home network, I have to use the media player in my Sony BluRay.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

I see the same thing as bo9877 with my Roku Ultra and I saw it with my Roku 3 as well.
I have the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router. Roku is wired to a Netgear 1Gb switch then wired to the router. Files are on a USB3 thumbdrive plugged into the router.
I can see the file but it will never start playing or it might start then end abruptly. If I try to play files from my computer wired to the router on the Roku, they play fine.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
cdysthe
Level 7

Hi,

I have a Roku 3 TV. I have a 3TB ext4 formatted USB hybrid drive connected to my Netgear R7000 and I can play video just fine I just have to make sure the files are either .mkv or .avi. For some reason most .mp4 video won't work. I think the problem is that the Roku player is very picky when it comes for the file format and codecs used. I also had a Buffalo NAS connected for a while with some of the same videos. Same problem with a lot of the .mp4 files playing from the NAS. If I convert then from .mp4. to .mkv they work fine. I do of course only convert the container, not the video and audio itself. Please note that I have the latest firmware on the R7000. Previous versions of the firmware has been buggy, but this latest update seems stable.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Resurrecting this thread to see if we are still having problems with the latest Roku firmware and access to media on the Nighthawk. If you have some information to add to this about the Netgear Nighthawk and RMP please post.
thanks
rokudale
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

I'm still having the same problem with my Roku Ultra on 7.5.1 and the Netgear Nighthawk.
MP4 file on a usb drive plugged into Nighthawk. Roku can see the file but when I try to play it, it gets stuck and just shows the loading status bar until I finally exit out. Xbox One can play it fine from the Nighthawk.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos