Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Acesneights
Level 7

Is Roku Ultra a wifi access point ????

I recently purchased a Roku Ultra because it can be connected via Ethernet cable. I do not have or want wifi in my house. I have had this thing for a month and then my wife noticed her iPad was picking this thing up as an available network connection ? The cheesy instructions it came with said nothing about this feature and now I have to wonder who has been accessing my internet through this thing ??? Is there a way to disable it ? I do not want wifi in my house under any circumstances. I tried to call tech support and got someone in another country who could barely speak English. And had no idea what I was talking about telling me that it wasn't possible. It is possible because as soon as I unplugged the Roku box the available Roku network on my wife's iPad disappeared. This is very creepy and disturbing.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Is Roku Ultra a wifi access point ????

No, it's not. What you are seeing is the Roku communicating with the remote. You can't disable it or your remote won't work. It will also appear as an access point if you are attempting to use the hotel/dorm function. But that only works for authenticating to a hotel access screen, and then disconnects you. At the moment, none of my Roku players appear when I make a wireless scan. But they are all in sleep mode for now, so that may be why.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

Your Roku remote uses WiFi direct. It's not an AP.

You can disable the WiFi if you want. You first need to unpair your remote by taking the batteries out and restarting your Roku.

Then Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Device connect (disable device connect) to turn off WiFi.

Of course, you'd better have a working IR remote or have a working Roku remote app (Android or IOS) if you then expect to do anything with the Roku, otherwise it just becomes a brick. I don't think the Ultra has a hardware factory reset button to recover with (?).
0 Kudos
Acesneights
Level 7

Ok, so if I leave it as is there is no way someone can get on my internet ? Sorry if these questions seem ignorant but I am older and not real tech savvy and learned a very painful lesson years ago from having a wifi router. I just want to make sure there is no way someone could get on this thing and use it for nefarious purposes.
Thank you for the replies.
0 Kudos
Acesneights
Level 7

"mike.s" wrote:
Your Roku remote uses WiFi direct. It's not an AP.

You can disable the WiFi if you want. You first need to unpair your remote by taking the batteries out and restarting your Roku.

Then Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Device connect (disable device connect) to turn off WiFi.

Of course, you'd better have a working IR remote or have a working Roku remote app (Android or IOS) if you then expect to do anything with the Roku, otherwise it just becomes a brick. I don't think the Ultra has a hardware factory reset button to recover with (?).

there is a reset button on the bottom I noticed. 
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

"Acesneights" wrote:
Ok, so if I leave it as is there is no way someone can get on my internet ? Sorry if these questions seem ignorant but I am older and not real tech savvy and learned a very painful lesson years ago from having a wifi router. I just want to make sure there is no way someone could get on this thing and use it for nefarious purposes.
Thank you for the replies.

You're totally fine in that regard. It can't be used for anything else. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Don't assume something is creepy or disturbing until you understand it.. btw, how does your wife access the internet on her iPad? Is it by cellular network only?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Acesneights
Level 7

We have cellular on our tablets hers was not working and she like me is not real tech savvy and someone told her to check wifi not realizing we don't use it.
0 Kudos