Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sahand72
Level 7

Iphone does not find my Roku premiere to cast

Mu iphone and the roku premiere device are on the same network but when I try to cast any app like youtube, it just does not find my roku.

any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
greenandred16
Level 7

Re: Iphone does not find my Roku premiere to cast

I am experiencing a similar issue with my Roku Streaming Stick (3800X). Installed it yesterday and updated the software to 9.3.0 Build 4194-55. My plan is placing this in a shared space where people can cast content from their phones rather than having any accounts directly on the Roku. Online instructions stipulate the channels must be loaded on the streaming stick but no accounts must be logged in. 

YouTube TV seemingly works that way but no other apps I have will cast (Netflix, Prime and MLB). Netflix returns an error message stating both devices must be logged into the same account which defeats the purpose of casting. Neither Prime nor MLB discover the Roku device. I can only assume the same holds true for other non-Google owned apps like Hulu, FuboTV, HBO, etc.

Roku Support had me try a few things but nothing moved the needle. Is this a problem with the current software build or a long standing issue with Roku? I've seen some online comments reporting similar issues over the past year. The Roku device has little value for me if it can't be used for casting as advertised. Furthermore, I would hope Support shared that information rather than recommending trying things they know beforehand won't work. I would appreciate any assistance before chalking the Roku up as a complete loss. Thanks.

Rich  

0 Kudos
kshilson
Level 7

I am having the same problem.  Got my Tv set up yesterday and cannot get any of my apple devices to stream from them. My appletv is set up to go, too, but nothing.  Now downloading the Roku app on my phone to see if that works.  

0 Kudos
greenandred16
Level 7

kshilson,

The Roku app works on my iPhone. Hopefully, I will get some positive news from Support overnight. We know mirroring doesn't work with iOS so would hate to learn casting doesn't work either unless it's a Google app. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

To the best of my knowledge, YouTube is the only app on an iPhone that can cast to a Roku. I just tested it with my XR phone and my Ultra 4670, and it cast the video without an issue. It also displayed every other display device on my network, including both Shield players and several TVs (Roku and otherwise). 

Make sure you're connected to the same network (and not a guest network), and there's no security setting that block wireless devices from seeing other devices on the network. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, YouTube is the only app on an iPhone that can cast to a Roku. I just tested it with my XR phone and my Ultra 4670, and it cast the video without an issue. It also displayed every other display device on my network, including both Shield players and several TVs (Roku and otherwise). 

Make sure you're connected to the same network (and not a guest network), and there's no security setting that block wireless devices from seeing other devices on the network. 

Actually, Netflix is the 2nd and last app to cast from Apple devices to Roku if you didn’t know.

Unfortunately, casting other apps from Apple devices to Roku requires a third party developed Screen mirroring app and most people who beware of third party stuff might not know exactly why.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Level 12

@Sahand72 wrote:

Mu iphone and the roku premiere device are on the same network but when I try to cast any app like youtube, it just does not find my roku.

any help is appreciated.

Try pressing the Cast icon, and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, please make sure to mark this answer as a solution. Thanks!

~Jordan

0 Kudos
greenandred16
Level 7

Michelle3,

Sadly, I am learning Roku has no interest resolving the casting/mirroring issue for iOS devices. It seems counter-intuitive given the iPhone user base and the minimal technical challenge involved to provide a viable solution. I can't imagine Roku product management hasn't heard the need expressed by the community. There have been no shortage of requests this past year alone. The only logical conclusion is a broader business decision not to support iOS. Perhaps the Company is selling enough product already.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@greenandred16 wrote:

Michelle3,

Sadly, I am learning Roku has no interest resolving the casting/mirroring issue for iOS devices. It seems counter-intuitive given the iPhone user base and the minimal technical challenge involved to provide a viable solution. I can't imagine Roku product management hasn't heard the need expressed by the community. There have been no shortage of requests this past year alone. The only logical conclusion is a broader business decision not to support iOS. Perhaps the Company is selling enough product already.

You have no idea what the technical challenge might be, but my guess is that it requires a license from Apple, and Roku doesn't license tech from other companies unless it's critical to the function of their players, such as supporting Dolby Digital. Supporting screen casting from iOS has nothing to do with the core functionality of the player, so why pay Apple for it?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
greenandred16
Level 7

Given the abundance of free casting/mirroring apps on other devices, it's a choice not a challenge. 

0 Kudos