Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwdxer1
Level 7

Internet speed v/s cost

I live out in the country in NW Oregon and other than satellite, cel tower, we only have access to Spectrum (Charter) for high speed. No DSL out here. The monthly charges keep increasing as with everything. Charter just upped our speed to 100, with no caps. For phone ($20) and the internet, the cost is $85 a month ($65 for internet+$20 for phone=$85). Is this price pretty much in line with others are paying? DSL has been promised out here for years, but they are not offering anything over about 20, even if we had it for $39 a month. I am wondering what others are paying? Thanks.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
flamebird
Level 7

Re: Internet speed v/s cost

"mwdxer1" wrote:
I live out in the country in NW Oregon and other than satellite, cel tower, we only have access to Spectrum (Charter) for high speed. No DSL out here. The monthly charges keep increasing as with everything. Charter just upped our speed to 100, with no caps. For phone ($20) and the internet, the cost is $85 a month ($65 for internet+$20 for phone=$85). Is this price pretty much in line with others are paying? DSL has been promised out here for years, but they are not offering anything over about 20, even if we had it for $39 a month. I am wondering what others are paying? Thanks.

That sounds like  a pretty good deal to me. Where I am, I can't get cell or satellite or even cable. We finally got DSL a few years ago but out in the boonies by me, I only get 1.5 and that costs me 40 bucks a month.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

As people cut cable, the prices will continue to increase.  If you don't need the phone, I'd try to get out of that, otherwise you are paying about what I've seen for the going rate.
0 Kudos
mwdxer1
Level 7

Thanks. Being in a service business, I need the phone. At $20 a month unlimited with free long distance for US/Canada, not bad. Being outside the towns, we often pay more than in town, like our garbage pickup is higher. 
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"mwdxer1" wrote:
Thanks. Being in a service business, I need the phone. At $20 a month unlimited with free long distance for US/Canada, not bad. Being outside the towns, we often pay more than in town, like our garbage pickup is higher. 

Yeah, the cost of living outside the city.  We've been wanting to move to just outside of our town, but yes everything becomes more expensive.  But, land...
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

In the UK the situation is a little different, most internet deals ( over a land line) are unlimited, and include the so called line rental fee, all prices include tax
ADSL2 costs roughly £22 per month, or $30 speeds upto 17mb, although average much less ( 6-12mb)
Fibre (fibre to the cabinet/FTC) where there is a fibre connection to the phone company's local distribution cabinet is roughly £28/month ($40) speeds upto 70mb - typically half of that
If you have Cable the your looking at £40, or $60 this often includes a TV package, speeds can be upto 300mb or above

Most people will be looking at FTC/ADSL2+, although the UK governent is going to ensure that ISPs will be legaly obliged to offer a minimum speed of 10mbs to all properties regardless of how remote they are.

In the UK up unitl the 1980's we had a state owned monopoly running the phone system/network this was Post Office Telephones, ( equivalent of the US postal service running the phone system in the USA ) this was split away from the post office and into British Telecom (BT) and then later privatised.
 In order to offer fair competition BT was then split again, into BT openreach who look after the infrastructure - cables/lines/exchanges etc, and lease  access to these to other companies and BT consumer who sell things like internet access/call packages etc ( and buy access from Openreach)
 Legislation is in place to ensure that the Openreach side of BT can not favour its Retail division, and has to provide equal access and terms at a  regulated wholesale price to any other telecom company that wants to set up.
 Some Telecom companies set up their own equipment in OPenreach exchanges ( known as local loop unbundling) and just use Openreach cables for the final hop to the customer, some telecom companies rent equipment/space from Openreach.

The end result of this is that there are a good few Internet service providers and telecom companies for the end user to pick from and competition is tight which helps keep the the price reasonable(ish)
0 Kudos
mwdxer1
Level 7

One advantage of living in the rural area, there are not a lot of internet customers like in the city, so our speed stays in the 90-105 (Paying for 100), connected, of course I am getting only 48-51 via wifi, which is normal. We are supposed to get fiber via DSL in time, we are told. But so far no DSL here, so even with fiber, will they be running it here. Now in town I believe it is $40 in town with 12 (Non fiber), but often people get 4, so even downloading an HD movie there are issues. The fiber is supposed to get at least 100 for DSL. 
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

Time Warner/Spectrum cable internet, 100Mbps I believe, is about $70. They threw in cable for an additional $30, so I'm getting both for $100. They're the only high-speed option at my house. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

My CenturyLink phone and DSL (60 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up) combined is $110 per month. My phone service pretty much matches yours. I'd say that's a really good deal. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mwdxer1
Level 7

Thanks for all the great replies. It sounds like the $85 for phone+internet with 100, is not bad. But as one poster stated, as fewer people sub to the TV service, the price will increase.
0 Kudos