Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jroe
Level 7

Internet speed test

I was able to do a speed test on roku and told me 10 mbp/s but i have a gigbit connection from fios, i have roku on 5g wireless and wireless ac
and im 5' from router, so why is it telling me 10? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
andyross
Level 10

Re: Internet speed test

Don't worry. What speed test was it? There is a Netflix-related speed test that seems to be limited and often only maxes out a little higher than Netflix's max video bitrate.
0 Kudos
jroe
Level 7

in roku hidden menu enabled logging on bandwith
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

My Roku has never accurately displayed my actual tested Internet speed. When the Speedtest channel was still available, it rarely displayed over 20 Mbps, even though I have a 60 Mbps DSL connection. Same with the Netflix speed test. But I have also seen my Rokus streaming HD material off of my home server with bitrates averaging 40 Mbps, and peaks of 70 Mbps or greater. This is using my Ethernet wiring, which of course is only 100BaseT on the Roku, even though I have a gigabit network. If you use 802.11 N or AC wireless, you can easily exceed 100 Mbps if you have something that can actually stream that fast.
Bottom line: don't worry about what any speed test indicates. The only online source I've encountered that exceeds 16 Mbps with their highest quality videos is YouTube. I've seen YT exceed 40 Mbps with 4K HDR video. Since I have no UHD titles in Vudu, I don't know what speed they top out at.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jroe
Level 7

ok, thanks just wondering, because my download speed through ethernet to my computer is 900 mbp/s and my wireless devices with 5g and wireless ac around 400 mbp/s
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

If you couldn't see the numbers, would you notice any difference?

That's really the only time you need a speedtest.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Where do you live that 5g is available? Jealous.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

"jroe" wrote:
ok, thanks just wondering, because my download speed through ethernet to my computer is 900 mbp/s and my wireless devices with 5g and wireless ac around 400 mbp/s

Remember that speed tests don't measure your throughput, they measure your speed to a specific server somewhere on the internet. The slowest connection of the approx. 8-15 hops between you and the server is going to be the reported speed. Further, that server isn't the same one you connect to for streaming. Speed tests are a nice metric to make sure something isn't really wrong, but they're not usually going to tell you what you want to know. 
0 Kudos