Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
muirlyn
Level 7

Internet provider & locked shows

Jump to solution

why do you need my internet provider and my password are you going to rip me off or backdoor my installation . this seems like a scam to me . will i have to put that code in every tv or movie show and put another  annoying code ??????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Internet provider & locked shows

Jump to solution

@muirlyn- maybe this will help explain:

Cable-type channels want to be paid. When you have a paid subscription to a "tv provider" service that carries these channels, they receive their pay out of the subscription fees you pay that provider.

Many cable-type channels make their content available for streaming via "TV Everywhere" channel apps for those paying for the channel through a provider as mentioned above. In order to prove you have such a subscription the channel will require to verify your tv provider account.  Each may have its own way for you to do this. 

One common method is to show you a code you must enter and send you to a website for that channel.  You do this via a web browser on a computer or mobile device, not your Roku, so Roku is not even involved.  Typically you enter the code, then must then tell this channel which TV provider you are using.  For most you'll have to give your tv provider login information (usually email address and password) so that the channel (not Roku) can interact with your tv provider account to verify your subscription.  When the channel has confirmed your TV provider subscription includes their channel, it will then activate their channel app on your Roku.

Typically, you only have to do this once, but some channels may ask you to repeat the process occasionally to make sure your tv provider subscription is still in force.  For me, the only one I have requiring this occasionally is Watch TCM.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hey @muirlyn

Thanks for the post. 

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us specifically about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@muirlyn- maybe this will help explain:

Cable-type channels want to be paid. When you have a paid subscription to a "tv provider" service that carries these channels, they receive their pay out of the subscription fees you pay that provider.

Many cable-type channels make their content available for streaming via "TV Everywhere" channel apps for those paying for the channel through a provider as mentioned above. In order to prove you have such a subscription the channel will require to verify your tv provider account.  Each may have its own way for you to do this. 

One common method is to show you a code you must enter and send you to a website for that channel.  You do this via a web browser on a computer or mobile device, not your Roku, so Roku is not even involved.  Typically you enter the code, then must then tell this channel which TV provider you are using.  For most you'll have to give your tv provider login information (usually email address and password) so that the channel (not Roku) can interact with your tv provider account to verify your subscription.  When the channel has confirmed your TV provider subscription includes their channel, it will then activate their channel app on your Roku.

Typically, you only have to do this once, but some channels may ask you to repeat the process occasionally to make sure your tv provider subscription is still in force.  For me, the only one I have requiring this occasionally is Watch TCM.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Scrappyboys3
Level 7

Jump to solution

I don’t have a TV a provider, because I got rid of cable, so how can I watch my Bravo shows (not Live)?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

You'll have to pay someone - Bravo wants to get paid.  I don't know if this is up to date, but here's 7 ways:
https://agoodmovietowatch.com/cord-cutting/watch-bravo-without-cable-on-roku/

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos