Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iggy67
Binge Watcher

Internet download speed is poor

Jump to solution

when I do a speed test on the Roku express on the TV it says my Internet download speed is poor negative one Mbps but when I do a speed test on my phone right next to the TV it says 100 Mbps I try resetting the Internet connection on the Roku express same results. I may be a little cocky here but in my opinion, I think these Roku devices have a poor antenna in them and doesn't take up too well even if you are in line of sight distance of your router.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Internet download speed is poor

Jump to solution

@iggy67 

The only option you have left that comes to mind at the moment is to move the equipment around a little. A few inches here or there might make a difference. If your wireless router is near the TV, perhaps raising it might help. That would likely take it farther from the Roku, which sounds counterintuitive, but sometimes that actually works.

Right now, I'm drawing blanks. You seem to have done all the suggestions I'd try if it were my situation.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Your statement is untrue. A Roku Express base model (you didn’t provide the model number) only works on the 2.4GHz. The 2.4GHz is slower then the 5.0GHz that your phone is probably on. Also you cannot compare the power of a smartphone to a Roku. A smartphone has a much faster processor and more RAM. A phone and a computer are capable of higher and faster speeds then a Roku cause they cost 3x as much. Also your Roku doesn’t have a signal booster. So how far is your modem from your Roku? When you run a check connection test what speed does it say (Mbps)?  Move the Roku closer to the modem. My TCL Roku TV and Ultra get a speed test of about 189 Mbps on the 5.0GHz. Where as my iPhone 13 Pro gets 420 Mbps on the same 5.0 GHz. I have a 500 Mbps internet speed. But my iPhone was $1200 and my Roku Ultra was $69. Of course the phone would be faster. Internet speed is more then just an antenna. Keep in mind that all you need to stream 4K is at least 25 Mbps. So even if a Roku can do a speed test at 500 Mbps doesn’t mean it will stream any better 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@iggy67 

Perhaps the 2.4 GHz network channel is getting interference from somewhere. What channel is it using? Of 1, 6, and 11, switch to one that it's not using and see if that improves things.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
iggy67
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Then again it shouldn't say Internet download speed is poor. It use to say on the Roku express I was getting 53 mbps before this all got started. I don't have distance in my appartment very small space. so I have no issues with distance from router. I also have a TCL Roku TV which connects to the 5G and I get the full 100 Mbps on it. I even tryed changing the 2.4 G channel on router dosen't do a thing. (I really not allow to change it my ISP get very cranky it I start messing around with their equment) There is so many WIFI APs around me on 2.4 that there isn't any open channel to choose that is not in use or overlapping. Bad thing about public housing. Everones got to have Internet or they will die. If they were old people they would not have Internet.

0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@iggy67 wrote:

... If they were old people they would not have Internet.

I'm old people and I have Internet. Apparently better than yours.

Frikkin' kids.

Basil
Longtime Roku user
iggy67
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The router is set to auto now. ISP gets cranky if I start fiddling around with thier equiptment.

0 Kudos
iggy67
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Quote: I'm old people and I have Internet. Apparently better than yours.

Frikkin' kids.

Who are you calling a kid!? 🙂

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@iggy67 

The only option you have left that comes to mind at the moment is to move the equipment around a little. A few inches here or there might make a difference. If your wireless router is near the TV, perhaps raising it might help. That would likely take it farther from the Roku, which sounds counterintuitive, but sometimes that actually works.

Right now, I'm drawing blanks. You seem to have done all the suggestions I'd try if it were my situation.

DBDukes

iggy67
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

With all my neighbors around me they are probley have the same issues as me with theie streaming devices. 😉

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@iggy67 

As @DBDukes indicated, if you are in a congested, dense area, it is likely that the interference from everyone using devices (as well as household appliances) on the 2.4ghz band, that you are just experiencing congestion/intereference on that band.

Cranky or not, I would try lowering both the channel width/bandwidth to 20mhz and maybe lower the transmit power (TX power) of the router to under 100% (somewhere around 70%) and that should help mitigate some intereference.  Preferably in dense areas, the channel should be set to ch.1 to avoid microwaves and zoomba vacuums frequencies.

As you have noticed, your 5ghz RokuTV is performing better since a little more freedom from interference affecting the network.  

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102