Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ANDYCS

Re: Internet download Speed is Poor

@Csimpson80 wrote:

You should know that this problem has been ongoing.  And, the folks at Roku keep saying to check your wifi.  I actually had this problem when connected with a LAN line.  Wifi is not the issue as you pointed out.  I can only say that a few months ago I must have gotten an update that changed something (I wish I knew what) on all three of my Roku TV's.  They were all doing the same thing and then suddenly, after a month or two of frustration, were registering a download speed equal to my phone and laptop that rout through the same Wifi/router.  It's a software thing.  I did nothing except switch to Chromecast with Google TV in frustration.  It worked great.  Then, after a few weeks my Roku began working again.  It's as if they knew I was switching and was about to switch all three of my setups and they sent me an update that actually worked.  Wish I could help more."

Why is it these large companies seems to be in denial rather than fix their problem. I live in a (supposedly) 1st world country and they can’t provide a service for me to stream a movie to watch?

0 Kudos
1Viking

Having the same problem  no fix found and I upgraded to an Ultra that worked temporarily but now doing the same thing as well as dropping the signal all together if doing a check connection test even if the streaming seems fine so now I can’t even see what speeds it’s actually getting ,, had no problems  with Roku for Four plus years and now I’ve got nothing but 

0 Kudos
Csimpson80
Channel Surfer

I am sorry to hear this.  As I have mentioned before, this drove me crazy for several months and then suddenly the problem stopped on all three of my Roku devices.  I have no idea why they can fix it for some and not for others.  And don't let them tell you it is a router problem or an ISP problem or a WiFi problem.  It is definitely their problem.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

If 1% of Roku's devices are problematic then I consider that to be a win for myself and my 5 Roku devices that I own. Roku, and the TV manufactures only really care about supporting the devices that are under warranty. Currently, my soundbar, subwoofer and 3 TVs have no issues that I am aware. All of the issues in the past have been resolved by the Roku upgrade to OS 10 and YouTube fixing it's own channel.

0 Kudos
droopdog7
Channel Surfer

Well, I guess I need to join the complaint party.  Over the past few weeks the picture quality on my roku premiere, which I bought about three months ago, has started to degrade.  Most shows look fuzzy and in some (very few) cases, the show freezes and doesn’t play without buffering.

Not sure what happened but it’s clearly not working the way it’s supposed to.

To try to fix the issue I changed the display type from Auto to the one to match my tv (based on internet search).  Thought it worked for a day but right back to having issues.  I also occasionally reset the device, and that seems to help temporarily but it goes back to fuzziness before too long.

I finally looked at the streaming speed and found that it’s far slower than I’m accustomed to (about 3 mbps).  I have a mesh system that covers the house very well.  My plan is for 200 mbps and I get no less than 100 mbps on any device in the house.  I realize that roku may not be capable of that but I believe I was getting around 40 mbps before.

Hopefully there is a fix to this issue because it’s very frustrating.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@droopdog7, what is the model number of your Premiere from Settings->System->About?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
droopdog7
Channel Surfer

@renojim  My model is 3920x.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@droopdog7, bad news.  I have one of those and it's junk.  You'll see plenty of people with 3920s with the same problem.  I've never seen a resolution other than getting it replaced under warranty.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
droopdog7
Channel Surfer

@renojim Well that’s disappointing.  I guess I’ll see about contacting them.  Would like a do over if there are better models that’s for sure.

0 Kudos
Csimpson80
Channel Surfer

After a month or two of struggling with it the problem disappeared.  I still do not know why.  Possibly a Roku update fixed it.  Nothing in my setup was changed.

0 Kudos