Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Internet download Speed is Poor

@Breezy1

Thanks for the post.

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bufflange

Ethernet connection to Roku Premier+ is slow

My Roku Premier+ is connected via a 5 ft ethernet cable to the router. I verified the connection from the router to the Roku is able to download 230mb but when I run the speedtest on the Roku it says I am only downloading 64mb which is causing issues when I watch 4k content. How can I fix this problem?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ethernet connection to Roku Premier+ is slow

It's doubtful anything can be done about this "problem".  64Mbps should be more than adequate for anything.  You're "problem" likely lies elsewhere.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Get a tivo k4 streaming device  works faster we get over 200 mbps all other devices are less then 30 mbps  like Amazon fire TV Edition Amazon fire sticks roku any android  boxs all are under 30 mbps and tivo seems to be the only streaming device that works 4 speed  screw the rest of them lol

0 Kudos
NoRomance

20 mghz throughout the house, excellent internet connection but 0-5 internet speed on Roku screen. Why?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@NoRomance

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What network frequency is your router using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HelpfulDad
Binge Watcher

Most of the time it takes more than 3 attempts to load UHD content in AppleTV+ app, Disney+ won’t play UHD at all, sometimes Vudu can’t load content, and Netflix plays UHD content in HD, and takes a while to get to UHD.

I have 940 Mbps Internet and connect my Roku with a cable.  When I replace the Roku with an AppleTV and run Ookla Speedtest, I get between 850-940 Mbps.  Even a wireless link on AppleTV or my iphone yields >=300 Mbps with Speedtest. 

Yet, when I replace the AppleTV with my Roku, the best quality I can get is “Good”, 91 Mbps.  I ran this cable because when I connect at 5 Ghz using wireless, I was getting an “Excellent” wireless connection, but couldn’t get more than 71Mbs, “Good” Internet Connection and had all these issues. 

Even with this cable, the Roku can’t make a stable, high quality link. To give it every advantage, i powered down every node on my network except the router and modem, just in case bandwidth was being used by one of them and still the same issues and not “Excellent” Internet connection.

anybody have any ideas? 

0 Kudos
julieh

Hi,

My ROKU download speed was also 0 mbps.  My comcast wifi download speeds were excellent.  My comcast person suggested unplugging my ROKU from the wall, not just from the back of the ROKU, but from the wall to prevent any power to the ROKU.  Then after waiting one minute to plug it back in.  I went from 0 mbps download speed to 19 mbps download speed and I no longer have buffering constantly.

I hope this simple solution works for other people.

Csimpson80
Channel Surfer

This seems a  bit absurd.  I thought I was the only one experiencing this.  After two Chat sessions with Roku, a 90 minute live session with my Router/Wifi customer service and 3 live sessions with my ISP I finally did a Google search and found this.  Call me dumb.  It never occurred to me that this could be a widespread problem.  I have two TCL Roku TVs and one TV with an Ultra.  Initially each were Wifi and each showed Excellent Wifi Connection.  The speed drop was more or less random (by the way the Wifi remained Excellent) until a few days ago when a pattern emerged.  At 5 am when I tested it the speed was identical to my LAN connected computer.  Around 9 or 10 am it suddenly dropped, on all three devices, to 2 MBPS.  I moved the Ultra close enough to the router to connect a LAN.  The same pattern continued for three days, even with the LAN connected Ultra.  Obviously there is something wrong with the Roku architecture -- I suspect some Update created the problem.  Can anyone tell me how I can actually speak with Roku.  The Chat people are well meaning but seriously clueless regarding this problem.  This is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Csimpson80,

Thanks for the post.

If you were in touch with our Support team recently and still need further assistance, we would continue to reach out to them as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.
Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos