Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

Re: Internet download Speed is Poor

So that's a big fat no on my previous post.  Roku was working fine this AM, got on about an hour ago, and no go.  Checked my other 2 Roku TV's...same thing.  Tried my Ultra and Premier.  Nothing.

Why on earth hasn't this been fixed?  I have essentially 5 Roku brick's in my house that sorta work when they want to, and no rhyme or reason when they will or won't work.  

I could sell the Ultra and Premier, but the TV's are a bit more of a pain to deal with.  Having a roku TV only to plug a Firestick or something else into it seems stupid.

HelpfulDad
Binge Watcher

AppleTV works flawlessly.  Too bad because Id rather not give Apple more money but Roku doesn’t care after they sell you the box

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I recently got a Verizon branded Android tv streaming box on Tuesday. It comes with a wireless AC wifi adapter and with a good not great wifi signal it connects to my router at 846mbps. All of my 5 Roku devices are wireless AC devices and connect at 169mbs back to my router with a strong signal. 

0 Kudos
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

I'd be thrilled if mine would connect at all.

0 Kudos
Two2face

Hi, I moved my router nearer to the Roku device.  

This morning I could not load anything on Roku, not YouTube or netflix it took an eternity.  Then I used a long cable and brought my router upstairs, outside the bedroom where I had my Roku express.  Abracadabara!  Everything is streaming and I am happy watching Netflix.  

Hope this helps, please spread the word.  

0 Kudos
katty08
Reel Rookie

I have the Roku express in both the living room & one bedroom & I’ve  been having this internet issue for already 2/3 weeks. Whether I’m watching a movie or on sling it’ll say that there’s no internet connection then go back to playing whatever was playing. Also when I check the connect it always says “Good 30 mbps” when it’s working &  “Good 3 mbps” when it’s acting up. & my notes internet connection on my phone is great.  It’s very frustrating having to deal with this issue & have no permanent solution to fix it. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @katty08

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

I would recommend checking out this Support page for troubleshooting steps: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please also answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing.

1. Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
  2. Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect?
  3. Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?

If those things still aren't helping, please provide the serial number of the affected Roku device by navigating to Settings > System > About along with the answers to the above questions. We'll be able to assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tumnjun

@worrelybird wrote:

I am constantly having issues with my Roku and streaming.  When I check connection it shows Excellent Wireless signal strength but Poor (0Mbps) Internet download speed. I called my ISP and they had me do a speed test on laptop next to TV and shows 33.73 download mbps via speedtest.net. Sometimes we can watch but mostly we cannot any more.  The tech guys at ISP thinks its my device as no other issues with phone or laptop with service.  Thoughts?

I have the same issue and suspect it is my TCL Roku TV itself. No other devices have this issue. Can barely steam tv at all anymore due to this constant issue. The tv will just randomly restart itself to the Home Screen and then say excellent signal strength <1mbps poor download speed. It’s is maddening. 

0 Kudos
Csimpson80
Channel Surfer

You should know that this problem has been ongoing.  And, the folks at Roku keep saying to check your wifi.  I actually had this problem when connected with a LAN line.  Wifi is not the issue as you pointed out.  I can only say that a few months ago I must have gotten an update that changed something (I wish I knew what) on all three of my Roku TV's.  They were all doing the same thing and then suddenly, after a month or two of frustration, were registering a download speed equal to my phone and laptop that rout through the same Wifi/router.  It's a software thing.  I did nothing except switch to Chromecast with Google TV in frustration.  It worked great.  Then, after a few weeks my Roku began working again.  It's as if they knew I was switching and was about to switch all three of my setups and they sent me an update that actually worked.  Wish I could help more.

ANDYCS

I just bought the Roku premium, I have a smart TV but couldn’t get the Disney channel. Roku is a nightmare, I tried watching a Disney movie and buffering every two minutes. My smart TV is in the same location and gave up (after re-setting router, Roku box blah blah blah) and watched a movie on Prime – no problems,  it would seem the problem is Roku.

Not impressed at all

0 Kudos