Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew4
Reel Rookie

Re: Internet download Speed is Poor

I have a Roku express and I encountered the same problem on Saturday too, and it's still not working.

0 Kudos
jmsastewart
Reel Rookie

I have 3 wireless sticks and 1 wired connection.  All were great for a long time, then 1 wireless stick went south.  Check connection, reconnect and still getting no internet and 0 mbps download speed although wireless connection rated as excellent.  Finally tried just unplugging power to the stick and let it sit for a minute or so.  plug it back in, turn on tv, give it a minute to connect to network and then do a check connection in settings and bingo, both wireless connect and internet connect with green checks and then it shows 76 mbps download speed.  Did it to all three wireless sticks and all is well with improvements up close to my wired roku devices which scores 88 MBPS download speed.  My wireless channel is 36 and I never changed that because at this point all is well so why bother with all that.

Hope this works for everyone.

0 Kudos
jmsastewart
Reel Rookie

I have 3 wireless sticks and 1 wired connection.  All were great for a long time, then 1 wireless stick went south.  Check connection, reconnect and still getting no internet and 0 mbps download speed although wireless connection rated as excellent.  Finally tried just unplugging power to the stick and let it sit for a minute or so.  plug it back in, turn on tv, give it a minute to connect to network and then do a check connection in settings and bingo, both wireless connect and internet connect with green checks and then it shows 76 mbps download speed.  Did it to all three wireless sticks and all is well with improvements up close to my wired roku devices which scores 88 MBPS download speed.  My wireless channel is 36 and I never changed that because at this point all is well so why bother with all that.

Hope this works for everyone.

AJ3000
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue. 

I just purchased a new Roku Premier for our bedroom and tried all the possible solutions. When I connect to the wifi signal quality is excellent but the connection speed is shown as poor (1 or 0 Mbps).

I was using an old version of Amazon fire TV stick and had no problem with the wifi in that location. I tried other channels for the wifi and no improvement. I even moved the Roku to the other room right next to the Router but still have the same issue! The software is updated to the most recent version. 

what surprised me was that when I tried my phone hotspot the Roku connected successfully and connection speed was much better (20 Mbps). I have a high speed internet at my place and the Router is one of the latest versions (I did a speed test and  the download speed was 50Mbps).

I am really disappointed with the Roku performance and will return it if I cannot find a solution. 

#RokuPremire #3920 #3920R

Andrew4
Reel Rookie

It hasn't been working for weeks now, so I got a refund as it wasn't fit for purpose.  I only had it for 18 months.  I bought a Amazon Fire TV Stick which works perfectly.

ChadOz10
Reel Rookie

Same issue here...all of my other devices are getting 200+ Mbps download and my Roku Premiere says it’s only getting 13 Mbps and it’s about 10 ft. away from the router (on the other side of a wall; same with the other devices). Please advise why this is happening, as this is a new Roku device. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Peterkid

I have the same issue, until 2 weeks ago it worked perfect, but now I have excellent signal and 0Mbps

I've tried rebooting, upgrading... Nothing worked 

Need help!!

0 Kudos
jmsastewart
Reel Rookie

Hi, I had a problem with one wireless stick out of 3.  I unplugged it from the tv and also physically disconnected the power to it and let it sit for 5 minutes or so.

Then I plugged it back into tv and powered it up and reconnected to my wireless router with SSID and password.

After that my download speed came back and it has been fine since then.

Good luck

abcdef

I have a same problem.

I have a Roku streaming+ stick as well as chrome cast on the same TV. 

Roku network check shows at most 1-3Mbps on 5G network while Chrome cast can stream HD quality without any issue.

Internet speed test on my 5G with my smart phone keeps showing 80-90Mbps even farther away from the router than the Roku stick. 

All other devices (Windows laptop, applie macbook, three smart phones) are streaming HD quality without any buffering.

I tried to power off the stick five minutes and reset the device too.

It didn't help.

I need help from Roku support!!! 

0 Kudos
ina33
Reel Rookie

I did so many things, so I don't know what helped, but what was funny is that I don't think I unplugged my Roku express after I reset my wifi range extender--you'd think that would be one of the first things I'd do. So in case that was what fixed it, thanks for the suggestion.

here's my case, in case it helps someone:
My problem started after I purposely left my Motorola modem and Netgear wi-fi range extender unplugged overnight. When I turned everything back on, my wireless network wasn't showing up at all on my devices (only the extender, which wasn't connecting). I only had internet access through my computer's wired connection, so I reset the extender and the modem/router, and that fixed everything EXCEPT THE ROKU--all my other wireless devices were working as before, but the Roku showed Excellent signal strength and ZERO download speed with the extender (The Roku did connect and work decently with the main modem, however, but the signal was weak). Just now, I was fiddling some more with the extender and the Roku, turning them on and off and checking for updates. The last thing I did was to reboot my extender and attempt to update the firmware (which is another pain because I could only do it on the iPad, and I lost connection while I was doing that, and now I can't log back in to verify that it was successful, GRRR NETGEAR!), and before checking to see if that worked, I read this post, unplugged the ROKU, and plugged it back in, and for now, the ROKU is recognizing both the modem and the extender, and I'm able to use the ROKU as before.

0 Kudos