Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Internet connectivity bug in 9.3 update?

Doced, while it is possible, it is highly unlikely that your unit became "faulty" at the exact same time [and in the exact same way] as so many members of this forum! It is much more likely that something in the firmware update turned off the 5GHz functionality of your unit. You should still be able to use it on 2.4GHz band or if your outer has dual-band option, you can direct it to only the lower bandwidth.

Highlighted
Level 7

Danny, still no luck connecting to wifi after recent update.  It was working fine before that.  

[personal information removed] Our serial # is X00000K73V03

This is a TCL Roku TV C107X, TCL Model 43S423

This is an issue that everyone else seems to be experiencing.  

Jim Theberge

Level 7

Re: Bugs in 9.3 update

So, what if we've done everything that the support pages suggest and we still can't connect? I have built computers and never had this many issues! Your update sucks and needs to be fixed. It's not your fault, but the company needs to handle this! It's not our fault, as users, that you had a bad update and we can't get our products to work correctly! Bugs happen, sure, but when you have this many users reporting the same issue, it needs to be fixed ASAP!

Highlighted
Level 8

What’s interesting is that I don’t have the 9.3 update, mine is still on the 9.2.0 software ver. But still experiencing the same issue as the other users except that I’m using a wired connection instead of wireless. All other devices on the network still connected to the internet except for the Roku. Hardware issue made worse with the update? Looks like it 

Highlighted
Level 8

After having issues with my wired connection I finally setup the wireless connection on the Ultra so I could switch between the two connections. I tried the wireless connection for the first time, had excellent sIgnal strength, opened Hulu Live and couldn’t connect, opened Netflix app and resumed a movie that seemed to take a little longer to buffer than the wired connection. Repeated and it worked fine. Hardware? Who knows, I don’t want to make a career out of figuring this out. I believe support is sending a new since this one is still under warranty 

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Beeterfly5 

Thanks for the note.

For clarification, the Roku Express device does not have the ability to use the 5 GHz connection, as they only use the 2.4 GHz connection, it's highly unlikely you were using a 5 GHz connection before the update.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

-What Roku model are you experiencing this issue with? If you are using a Roku Express or Premiere, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
-Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect?
-What OS are you currently running? This can be found in Settings > System > About.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me the information from above along with your Roku account email address and your device serial number, and the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Obviously you're the boss. Boss

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

So I’ve read all your reply’s to these issues. We are all very frustrated with the issues with the Roku express. Today I tried to reset my Roku and now I can’t even get past the checking internet connection to set it back up. It says it’s connected but then just fails. Can this issue not be fixed? If so I’ll be returning my Roku to the store! It worked fine from when I purchased in April til May 14. Then it’s been nothing but a nightmare. Then when you try to get any support for the device you can’t because of the model!  I’m very disappointed in the product. You need to pass along all these complaints. It’s impossible to run a company on faulty products. 
@RokuDanny-R 

Highlighted
Level 8

I have a dual router. I posted my frustrations in this thread earlier in the week. I isolated the TV to the 2.4gH channel and it’s connected and worked fine ever since.

It’s hilarious that Roku is insisting that their devices have never worked on 5gH since this TV obviously was before the 9.3 update. 

So if you all have a dual router, until they fix this, try to make sure your TV is on 2.4 and it might work.