Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inayarens

Internet connection problems

Sometimes on my Roku the internet takes an abnormally long time for it to connect. The times are inconsistent on when it connects, like sometimes its 5s but then other times it just doesn’t connect.

The way that I have mended it previously was to factory reset it, it quickened the process substantially but this time it wont connect to the internet therefore I cannot factory reset it.

Any tips on what to do?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Internet connection problems

After a Factory reset you have to set up your Roku again as though it were a new unit right out of the box.  I'd save this as a last resort for when all else fails.

This has always worked for me to re-establish my net connection when it has been lost or not performing well:

• Restart the router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power.  Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Also wifi performance can be deteriorated by interference from nearby routers using the same channel you are.  The 2.4 GHz wifi band is particularly crowded.   If connecting to the 2.4 GHz band, wifi channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap each other and thus give you the best chance at reducing congestion, so try each in succession, although depending on what channels your neighbors are using other channels may work best. Also, reducing router bandwidth from 40 to 20 kHz may also reduce interference.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X