Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garvinf2

Internet Connection Hiccup Killed Roku Connection, Unable to Reconnect After Restoration

Jump to solution

This evening our internet connection was lost temporarily, but after it was restored we've been unable to get Roku to reconnect. While the Roku connection to the Router is only Fair, connection through a wireless extender results in a Good connection. We're restarted Roku and rechecked the connection numerous times without success. Connecting directly to the Router results in a Wireless Connection, but an Internet failure. Connected to through the wireless extender shows a successful wireless and internet connection, but then we're back at square one with Roku saying it can't connect to the internet.

Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garvinf2

Re: Internet Connection Hiccup Killed Roku Connection, Unable to Reconnect After Restoration

Jump to solution

I have it set to auto and it shows 11 currently.

It was working fine a couple of hours ago before our 'internet hiccup' was resolved for everything else via a router power cycle.

This just in ... a power cycle of the roku device restored my internet connection.

Thank you for spending your time giving me suggestions and things to consider. I hope you have a great night (at least it's night here).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Internet Connection Hiccup Killed Roku Connection, Unable to Reconnect After Restoration

Jump to solution

@garvinf2 

You did not say which Roku device you have. The model number is often important.

For instance, if it's a Roku Express device, those only support 2.4 GHz band and require the wireless router settings to include 802.11 b/g/n. Some ISPs have been sending updates to routers and changing the settings for 2.4 GHz band to g/n. That has causes issues with connecting on the 2.4 GHz band for many Roku devices.

What you're describing would be explained by that, but there could be other reasons as well.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
garvinf2

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. My Roku is a 3910X.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@garvinf2 

That's a Roku Express+ from 2017. Like the Roku Express, it is also 2.4 GHz only. So it may be worthwhile checking the wireless router settings and see if the ISP has changed them from 802.11 b/g/n to g/n.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
garvinf2

Jump to solution

My router is set up for Wireless Network 2.4 GHz b/g/n with SSID Broadcast enabled.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@garvinf2 

It sounds like the settings are indeed as they would be expected. Do you know which channel is being used on 2.4 GHz? It should be 1, 6, or 11. I expect it will be one of those, which would be expected, but I want to verify.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
garvinf2

Jump to solution

I have it set to auto and it shows 11 currently.

It was working fine a couple of hours ago before our 'internet hiccup' was resolved for everything else via a router power cycle.

This just in ... a power cycle of the roku device restored my internet connection.

Thank you for spending your time giving me suggestions and things to consider. I hope you have a great night (at least it's night here).

0 Kudos
YzfNinja87

Jump to solution

This is why I have 3 Roku backup devices JUST IN CASE it’s the actual device that fails. (Also an Apple TV device in case I get mad and throw the Roku out in the SNOW)  - But don’t try this at home- Roku has kept device costs low which is good for families. Hiccuping is the only issue we’ve had, we bought the high end Roku. 

We recommend the wired Ethernet model for stability & security. 

0 Kudos