Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankp7
Level 7

Insignia Roku TV suddenly can't stay connected to wifi for more than a few minutes

Hi,

I've had my Roku TV for over a year and its been working perfectly fine.  Then since the weekend, after about five to ten minutes of streaming, I suddenly get the "wireless connection lost" message and the only way to resolve it is to pull the plug and I will get another 5-10 minutes of streaming until the same thing happens again. I've tried everything including the factory reset and reconnecting it to the wifi as well as unplugging and restarting both the tv and the router. All the meanwhile, the Roku 3 in the living room, Ipad, and Amazon echo, and our phones are having no wifi disruption so it can't be the router.
 Is it time to throw the tv away and get a new one or is there a solution to this out there?
 It is an Insignia 24" LED Model  NS-24ER310NA17.
 Any help much appreciated.
My wife has Lifetime and Hallmark channel running in the living room and this little Roku TV is my only escape!
Thanks

6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Insignia Roku TV suddenly can't stay connected to wifi for more than a few minutes

More than likely you've suddenly encountered Wi-Fi interference that you didn't have before. A neighbor set up a new router that is interfering or something. First suggestion is to change the channel your router is using for Wi-Fi. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Browsin4287
Level 7

Re: Insignia Roku TV suddenly can't stay connected to wifi for more than a few minutes

I've been having the same maddening problem, but in two different locations, with two completely different routers. I'm at my wit's end with it. Has anyone successfully resolved this problem? I'm seeing many people complain about it, but no one saying they found a solution.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I've read a few of those complaints here, and since I had helped set up a home network for a neighbor, who has two Roku TVs, I asked if she has had any problems. None.
I suspect it is network issue. Either a router setting, or signal quality. Some new source of interference in the vicinity, like a strong wifi nearby, or a powerful electronic device.
For her, I had her get a dual band router, and only put the streaming devices on the 5ghz band. That's the design for me as well.
Good luck working through the issue.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Browsin4287
Level 7

Thank you for trying to help. Maybe there is something I am missing or don't know (I'm not in IT) but I believe there is a hardware problem after the tv has been in use for a year or two. I don't think it's heavy traffic on the modem channel. I have a dual band set to choose the best channel dynamically. I double checked the settings. It's not the wifi signal...I moved the darned modem right next to the Roku tv, and it still loses WiFi after 5 or 10 minutes. All my other devices have no problem with it. I've done the "secret codes" tried all the repowering options, updated the software...I've had my internet provider show up 5 times- the last time they actually showed up before I called them ( I know, right? I'm pretty sure he'll froze over somewhere). BUT... I'm posting because the ridiculous solution of connecting a Roku 2 to my insignia Roku tv actually worked. Now I choose HDMI 3 (where I connected the Roku 2) and lo and behold... No dropped wifi. I can use my tv again.
0 Kudos
Browsin4287
Level 7

Ok Roku people, that was funny. I had to edit my post because I used the slightly less socially acceptable version of "darned" and some how the posted version of it was "flower". When I hit edit, it was still the less pc word. So here's the thing. I bought my first Roku in late 2011 or very early 2012. I've sinced purchased 5 more for my house, and 3 as gifts. I tell all my friends they don't need cable, they just need internet and a roku. I love love love my rokus. I didn't trust smart TVs. I finally bought an insignia Roku tv because I trusted Roku, and the cost was the same as the same tv and a Roku device. I am deeply sorry I bought it. I've been researching this problem, and it's not just the insignia roku tvs that have the problem, its all of them. I have yet to find a single post from anyone who got a long term solution for this problem. A few have talked about needing a new card, but it being out of warranty. I expect my tv to work for more than a year and a half. I will continue to recommend Roku products with the exception of Roku TV's. I will recommend a cheaper tv with a Roku device moving forward, and that people stay away from all brands of Roku TV's.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Well, I've had an insignia Roku TV for over 2 years. The original one had a problem (not wireless related), and I returned it the same day I bought it. The replacement has been solid ever since. Mine doesn't have an Ethernet jack like my Sharp does, so it's always on wireless. There was one software build last year that had issues losing the wireless connection, but since then I've never had an issue. I have several wireless access points on my network, with the nearest one being about 8 feet away and through a wall. I'm running Tomato firmware on that router, and it has an occasional issue that requires a reboot. But the TV connection has been rock solid. All this is to say that it isn't a fact that all TVs have an issue. Since my Sharp has an Ethernet jack, I don't use wireless on it. But the times I've tested its wireless have never revealed a problem. 
Yeah, the forum software will auto-replace certain words with "flower". It does make a humorous read at times.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos