Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: ISP out of service?

"fluke" wrote:
atc98092:
Roku supports the MKV container ... No Roku supports lossless audio

When using a Matroska (MKV) container, Roku supports the following lossless audio codecs: FLAC, PCM and ALAC

Roku does not support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio.

I was referring to the lossless audio codecs used with Blu Ray and UHD movie discs. None of them use FLAC or ALAC, and the only PCM I've ever seen on a disc was two channel stereo. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"fluke" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:
You've tried the Roku Media Player channel / app on the Roku correct?

Yes actually, my RMP success was limited to MP3

What video/audio codecs and container format are the videos you have been trying to play?  If you play the video in VLC, can you go in the menu to Tools -> Codec Information and then provide the details it states?

H264-MPEG-4 AVC/MPEG ACC, VLC has no difficulty reading or playing these files from router USB port.  I'm able to stream them and likely MKV as well, to Roku from router storage by using an android app to locate and initiate play only while ISP is functioning.  I cannot accomplish this Via using the Roku remote(s) or UI.  If no ISP, the merry-go-round stops.

Not sure what effect or how OS version, type, platform, revision, etc. of other devices on the LAN might remedy this but my preference is using the router as the NAS device and accessing this storage location via Roku UI, independent of internet service availability.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

When you say you can’t accomplish this via the Roku UI using the Roku remote, do you mean the Roku Media Player does not find or see your files from your NAS?

Or you can see them and you try to play them and it doesn’t play?

I only ask this question because some Roku players do not support 5.1 AAC audio, only 2.0 AAC audio.

“Notes:
The Roku Media Player channel will not display unsupported file types or files it has determined cannot be played by your Roku device.”

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/ ... nd-photos-
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

More critical information in quotes below about AAC support. Like many have said the Roku is not purchased with the intention of it being a local streaming device. So if the Roku Media Player app can’t play for your MKV file, there is likely something wrong with the file that makes it incompatible with the Roku. Comparing it to VLC which runs on a computer and has all the codecs available is not an appropriate comparison. You could just use your computer as a HTPC.

Also what router do you have? Make and model? Unless it’s an expensive router like $200, I have found many of them are horrible for running a DLNA drive off their USB ports. The routers are so slow that transfer speeds suffer, etc. So that’s why many recommend a standalone NAS such as the Synology ones. There is a reason these Synology NAS devices are not $20, it’s cause they need proper hardware to work well. Something many routers do not have.

“Support for AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)

Roku devices do not support AAC pass-through. Instead, Stereo AAC is transcoded to PCM stereo.

Roku TVs and some Roku players decode 5.1 AAC to PCM stereo for headphone, internal speaker, and HDMI/ S/PDIF (optical) output.”
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"theuser86" wrote:
More critical information in quotes below about AAC support. Like many have said the Roku is not purchased with the intention of it being a local streaming device. So if the Roku Media Player app can’t play for your MKV file, there is likely something wrong with the file that makes it incompatible with the Roku. Comparing it to VLC which runs on a computer and has all the codecs available is not an appropriate comparison. You could just use your computer as a HTPC.

Also what router do you have? Make and model? Unless it’s an expensive router like $200, I have found many of them are horrible for running a DLNA drive off their USB ports. The routers are so slow that transfer speeds suffer, etc. So that’s why many recommend a standalone NAS such as the Synology ones. There is a reason these Synology NAS devices are not $20, it’s cause they need proper hardware to work well. Something many routers do not have.

“Support for AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)

Roku devices do not support AAC pass-through. Instead, Stereo AAC is transcoded to PCM stereo.

Roku TVs and some Roku players decode 5.1 AAC to PCM stereo for headphone, internal speaker, and HDMI/ S/PDIF (optical) output.”

Agree, and thanks for helping me navigate through the maze.
Looks like my solution will be using one of my android phones connected to the TV via HDML/MHL interface, using an MHL interface that has IR capability to operate the android by remote.  This combo should be internet service independent, allow Samba access to router file storage via wifi, play most any type of media file under almost all conditions I can imagine, and perhaps will be largely future proof as well.
Again, thanks for all your help!  Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"theuser86" wrote:
When you say you can’t accomplish this via the Roku UI using the Roku remote, do you mean the Roku Media Player does not find or see your files from your NAS?

Or you can see them and you try to play them and it doesn’t play?

I only ask this question because some Roku players do not support 5.1 AAC audio, only 2.0 AAC audio.

“Notes:
The Roku Media Player channel will not display unsupported file types or files it has determined cannot be played by your Roku device.”

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/ ... nd-photos-

Yes, my experiment was using RMP.  So it was unclear actually if RMP couldn't see the files or if it couldn't play them.  I am (with minor fiddling to locate the files) able to use an android app to stream these MP4 from router storage to the Roku.  My guess is this isn't likely to work in absence of internet service.
I'm heading another direction, as detailed in my previous post.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

That's the primary reason I use Serviio DLNA server, because any non-playable files are transcoded so everything works. Some NAS devices have sufficient processing power to support transcoding, but I doubt that any router does. I know I've been able to access my Serviio source when Internet access was down, but to be honest I can't say if I was using a Roku or if it was a BD player. It's been so long since I've had an outage, I just can't remember.  Smiley Very Happy But as long as my DSL router is running I at least have a DHCP source on my network. I was considering installing a stand-alone PC to run DHCP and DNS, so I could lose my DSL completely and still have internal networking functions. But I have so many computers running full time in my home I don't need another generating heat and using electricity. While the Actiontec C1000A is a lousy DSL modem, it's DHCP functionality appears to be pretty solid and the internal Gigabit switch remains functional, even when the router itself locks up. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"Chicken" wrote:
Is the ROKU capable of any operational featurefunctions if the ISP service is unavailalbe?  Please point me to a listing.

Okay so as an update, I'm very pleased to report I discovered by configuring an Android device as a DLNA server and using RMP (Roku Media Player), the Roku discovers MP4 files reliably.  All of this occurs independent of internet service availability, so a big plus.
I'm still testing but it looks promising.
0 Kudos