Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: ISP out of service?

The only time the Roku has a problem with no internet is if you reboot it without internet. At least it used to.. not sure if they fixed that.

Plex behaves the same way across all devices... No internet, and some or all features are disabled. I don't know which ones because I don't frequently use it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"theuser86" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
I think Roku tries to ping whatever DNS server as the final step. So if you have a local DNS server, I think you can use Roku locally w/o an ISP. Roku's primary function is Internet Streaming, not local streaming. Considering the first channel it ever had was Netflix, then not long after Amazon and MLB channels. Never had local streaming initially. They really haven't changed their priority on that subject. You might want to look at alternative devices if local streaming is your goal. I remember back then, people used to have both WDTV and Rokus together.

This is spot one. Roku is not marketed as a local streaming device. Check out Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, or those gabillion different little Android TV boxes. Or maybe you can find one of those old WDTV units on eBay - they were solid.

Close but yet so far, it appears Roku begs to be excluded from my modernization of the entertainment system due to these remaining limitations.  We still have the full array of coax cables, switch boxes, VCR's, DVD players, extensive library of DVD's and tapes, etc. sitting in the wings while we collect and hobble together the replacement system.

Thankfully, China is working on tying it all together and that's where I expect the successful contender will originate.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"speechles" wrote:
Emby connects just fine without internet. It pops up the "No internet. Use the app anyways?" message. After that everything works just fine in absense of internet even DLNA. It is the Plex developers who are breaking things. It is not Roku. Emby works just fine. Try Emby. Emby does not try to phone home.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely follow up on this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"theuser86" wrote:
You've tried the Roku Media Player channel / app on the Roku correct?

Yes actually, my RMP success was limited to MP3 and that required a coal burning Winders contraption belching smoke and chugging away in the background.

Considering the first thing one must do after unboxing is replace the operating system to discover 6 months later it no longer is supported, and the fact the power supply belches 250 watts of coal, I mainly just keep the old clunkers around as museum pieces and for the purpose of backward compatibility for old software I spent tons of money to buy that actually worked sorta, if you could massage the configuration into workable form without corrupting the registry.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:

Yes actually, my RMP success was limited to MP3 and that required a coal burning Winders contraption belching smoke and chugging away in the background.

Considering the first thing one must do after unboxing is replace the operating system to discover 6 months later it no longer is supported, and the fact the power supply belches 250 watts of coal, I mainly just keep the old clunkers around as museum pieces and for the purpose of backward compatibility for old software I spent tons of money to buy that actually worked sorta, if you could massage the configuration into workable form without corrupting the registry.

RMP will also work with a USB device connected directly to the Roku. Of course, that means it has to be a Roku that has a USB port. Smiley Happy But RMP does support many more formats than MP3. It's a little model dependent, as the latest players now support MPEG2 video, while the older ones don't. And of course the container has to be MKV/MP4/TS (video, obviously). This page outlines what media is supported. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:

RMP will also work with a USB device connected directly to the Roku. Of course, that means it has to be a Roku that has a USB port. Smiley Happy But RMP does support many more formats than MP3. It's a little model dependent, as the latest players now support MPEG2 video, while the older ones don't. And of course the container has to be MKV/MP4/TS (video, obviously). This page outlines what media is supported. 

That's a good point, I have an extensive DVD library to consider as well and ditching the DVD player is part of the advanced plan.  Any suggestions of these DVD's can be integrated with an Roku echosphere?  I imagine converting them in some way to single file format using handbrake or similar tool.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:

That's a good point, I have an extensive DVD library to consider as well and ditching the DVD player is part of the advanced plan.  Any suggestions of these DVD's can be integrated with an Roku echosphere?  I imagine converting them in some way to single file format using handbrake or similar tool.

When I was testing Roku Media Player, I took a few Planet Earth DVDs and used WinXDVD to rip them to files. They played fine. I do notice a fair amount of artifacting but I think it's because my 4K TV wants to upconvert everything and I'm too lazy to go fiddle with it just for testing a few files. Smiley Happy But ripping DVDs to a flash drive and plugging it into the Roku Ultra and running RMP found them, played them, no issue. It does take a long time to rip them at decent quality though.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:

I use MakeMKV for my disc ripping. Roku supports the MKV container, so no issues there. It's the audio and video codecs that "could" cause an issue. Since virtually all DVDs have MPEG2 video, anything newer than the Roku 4 (Ultra 4640/4660/4661) plays them fine. For audio, if it's Dolby Digital, no problems. With DTS audio, Roku will only passthrough the audio to a supported device, meaning an AVR that supports DTS. For ripping Blu Rays, your video could be H.264/H.265 or VC-1. Those three Ultra models are fine with the H.26x codecs, but not VC-1. Also, with BD discs, you usually have lossless audio. No Roku supports lossless audio, although DTS/MA will passthrough the default lossy DTS core to an AVR. But most BD discs also have a DD track. You can use freeware such as TSMuxer to change the order of the audio tracks to make the DD track default. 
But yes, Handbrake can convert almost anything into a file playable on a Roku player. It's slow, because it insists on encoding the video even it you want it left alone. So if you have 4K/HDR video, you'll likely lose the HDR encoding and it will look washed out. You can count on it taking longer for Handbrake to encode a title than the playing time of the video itself. At least it does with my quad core i5 Intel media server. Maybe something with an i7 could reduce it somewhat. 

But if you want the best media support, you could look at an Nvidia Shield. It plays everything I have without requiring transcoding, can convert lossless audio to two channel stereo if you aren't using an AVR, and is just really powerful. Of course, it costs twice the most expensive Roku, but you get what you pay for. Smiley Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Seems reasonable the 4K tv is doing some of that, this would likely be acceptable for me given the circumstances.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:

Yes actually, my RMP success was limited to MP3

What video/audio codecs and container format are the videos you have been trying to play?  If you play the video in VLC, can you go in the menu to Tools -> Codec Information and then provide the details it states?

Chicken:
That's a good point, I have an extensive DVD library to consider as well and ditching the DVD player is part of the advanced plan.  Any suggestions of these DVD's can be integrated with an Roku echosphere?

VUDU is available as a Roku channel.  "Disc to Digital" is a marketed feature of VUDU including the option to pay to go from a DVD to HD for $5.  A DVD ripping tool may allow for upscaling to HD but probably will not produce as good results.  I personally have never used the Disc to Digital part of VUDU before.  However, I can say that VUDU is not designed to be used in offline/camping mode.

atc98092:
Roku supports the MKV container ... No Roku supports lossless audio

When using a Matroska (MKV) container, Roku supports the following lossless audio codecs: FLAC, PCM and ALAC

Roku does not support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio.
0 Kudos