Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: ISP out of service?

It's official, Roku refuses to connect to any wifi network that does not have an active internet connection.  So the info about PLEX DLNA in the avsence of ISP is erroneous and misleading.

Why couldn't Roku just admit this?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"jeffrok" wrote:
Don't bother with Mr. Chicken.. he's claimed to left the building.  Yes I agree, no point in participating in this toxic environment.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Chicken" wrote:
It's official, Roku refuses to connect to any wifi network that does not have an active internet connection.  So the info about PLEX DLNA in the avsence of ISP is erroneous and misleading.

It is not misleading. If your Roku is already connected to a router that previously had working internet, then say 3 days later your internet goes out, your Roku is still connected to your router and thus you can stream from your computer via Plex when the internet is offline.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I think Roku tries to ping whatever DNS server as the final step. So if you have a local DNS server, I think you can use Roku locally w/o an ISP. Roku's primary function is Internet Streaming, not local streaming. Considering the first channel it ever had was Netflix, then not long after Amazon and MLB channels. Never had local streaming initially. They really haven't changed their priority on that subject. You might want to look at alternative devices if local streaming is your goal. I remember back then, people used to have both WDTV and Rokus together.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"trekkeriii" wrote:
I think Roku tries to ping whatever DNS server as the final step. So if you have a local DNS server, I think you can use Roku locally w/o an ISP. Roku's primary function is Internet Streaming, not local streaming. Considering the first channel it ever had was Netflix, then not long after Amazon and MLB channels. Never had local streaming initially. They really haven't changed their priority on that subject. You might want to look at alternative devices if local streaming is your goal. I remember back then, people used to have both WDTV and Rokus together.

As far as I know, Roku will not use or ping a local DNS server.  Instead, it has specific internet DNS servers it always uses.  On most home networks, the DNS server, DHCP server and default gateway/router is all the same device and IP address.  It might be that Roku pings the DHCP server or pings the gateway/router.  In that case it may appear to be performing a ping of the local DNS server but I believe that is just a side-effect of the same IP being used for multiple things rather than intending to ping the local DNS server.
In terms of being able to use the Roku Media Player without an internet connection, I believe that is possible.  However, Roku still depends on there being a DHCP server available.  If the wireless access point being used while "camping" fails to provide a DHCP server until it has an internet connection, then there is nothing Roku can do about that situation.  From what I have seen, Roku never self-assigns a link-local address such as 169.254.x.x.
For anyone having trouble using the Roku Media Player for accessing a DNLA server without an internet connection, I recommend trying VLC for Android on a phone connected to the same wireless access point.  If VLC for Android also can't locate the DNLA server, then it is likely there is a problem with either the wireless access point providing DHCP services without an active internet connection or there might be problems with the DNLA server.
chicken:
It's official, 
Roku refuses to connect to any wifi network that does not have an active internet connection.  So the info about PLEX DLNA in the avsence of ISP is erroneous and misleading.

Does the management interface to your wireless access point list the individual DHCP client by MAC address?  If it does, go to your Roku and check under the Settings -> Networking and find the Roku's wireless MAC address.  Then confirm the access point has the Roku listed in the DHCP table.  If it doesn, then you are probably using an access point that doesn't provide DHCP services with an active internet connection.  
IMPORTANT: Roku will use a wifi network without an active internet connection but will not use a network without an active DHCP server.

Can you also provide a link to the official Roku documentation that makes any claims about use of  PLEX DNLA that is erroneous and misleading?  I can't find any such document on Roku's own website.
If you continue to have problems with the PLEX channel coded by PLEX in BrightScript for use on Roku then I recommend posting to PLEX's own forum to get help with that issue.

If you don't want to involve the PLEX forum in your quest then I recommend switching to the Roku Media Player for accessing a DNLA server that you have confirmed works with other DNLA clients.
I would also advice learning how to use Wireshark to monitor network traffic on your DNLA server.  It can help a great deal with being able to troubleshoot issues that come up.  You can get it for free from https://www.wireshark.org/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:

This is spot one. Roku is not marketed as a local streaming device. Check out Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, or those gabillion different little Android TV boxes. Or maybe you can find one of those old WDTV units on eBay - they were solid.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Many Blu Ray players also work just fine with local media, and some even support accessing network shares directly. Of course, you have the same limitation that a DHCP server is required to get an IP address, although I have seen many BD players that allow assigning a static IP address. But that also requires some networking knowledge and skill. I'm not saying the OP doesn't have such abilities, just that they would be needed. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

This thread is beginning to fill with great ideas, thanks everyone!  BTW, I was able to stream across my network basically anything native to Roku (ie:MP4/3) by using an android app but unable to initiate using Roku interface on it's own.

This all won't work if the ISP is disconnected, so I may be forced to begin using another device, looks like Fire maybe...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You've tried the Roku Media Player channel / app on the Roku correct?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Emby connects just fine without internet. It pops up the "No internet. Use the app anyways?" message. After that everything works just fine in absense of internet even DLNA. It is the Plex developers who are breaking things. It is not Roku. Emby works just fine. Try Emby. Emby does not try to phone home.
0 Kudos