Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chicken
Level 7

ISP out of service?

Is the ROKU capable of any operational featurefunctions if the ISP service is unavailalbe?  Please point me to a listing.
0 Kudos
37 Replies
theuser86
Level 7

Re: ISP out of service?

I can stream via Plex locally when my ISP is down. This happens about once in every 5 years. I do not know what a “listing” is, please clarify.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

A listing is a reference document containing a list.  Uptime of one brief failure in 5yrs is practically 100%, that's incredible.

FWIW, my evaluation with Clearstream failed this test unless the ISP dropout occurred after the app was started, which is pointless.  Couldn't enter the app with ISP disabled due to Roku would insist on setup internet connection.

Plex should develop their own streaming device.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

My guess is Roku won't comment on this issue, for good reason.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

I'm not really sure what you are asking here.  Does the Roku work without Internet?  I mean, the device would work but none of the internet streaming apps would.  Plex would continue to work because it is local.  Mine does.

I'm not sure what comment you expect from Roku.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
I'm not really sure what you are asking here.  Does the Roku work without Internet?  I mean, the device would work but none of the internet streaming apps would.  Plex would continue to work because it is local.  Mine does.

How about an app that streams intranet, should it work correctly in the absence of ISP or will Roku not function?  I see your PLEX operates, that relates to my question so let's focus there.  Are you certain is operates in absence of ISP?

Another way of saying this, WHAT IF I took Roku camping, what could I expect to accomplish with it (Please assume electric power is there, list any other requirements you believe would interfere, aside from ISP, the original question)?
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"Chicken" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Roku could provide a straight answer, maybe one or two words even, might break their fingers on the keyboard?  I dunno, seems simple enough.

How about an app that streams intranet, should it work correctly in the absence of ISP or will Roku not function?  I see your PLEX operates, that relates to my question so let's focus there.  Are you certain is operates in absence of ISP?

Another way of saying this, WHAT IF I took Roku camping, what could I expect to accomplish with it (Please assume electric power is there, list any other requirements you believe would interfere, aside from ISP, the original question)?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

I mean, it's pretty obvious.  If you don't have internet, you can't stream internet things.  If you have a LAN and Plex, you can stream Plexy things.  If you have a USB with compatible files on it, you can plug it into a Roku with a USB port and play the files.
I've seen your posts, mostly just combative and uncooperative.
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:
Is the ROKU capable of any operational feature functions if the ISP service is unavailalbe?  Please point me to a listing.

It is kind of hard to fully answer this question because the majority of what a high level user of a Roku would consider "operational features" aren't really provided by Roku itself.  Instead the functionality of the channels are decided by the BrightScript code that was written by the specific channel author.  Even if Roku was to audit every single channel to determine which ones could work in an offline mode, there is nothing restricting the channel author from updating the channel later to depend on being online.
FWIW, my evaluation with Clearstream failed this test unless the ISP dropout occurred after the app was started, which is pointless.  Couldn't enter the app with ISP disabled due to Roku would insist on setup internet connection.

This issue would be an example of behavior due to BrightScript code that wasn't written by Roku themselves.  You need to bring this issue or feature request to the attention of Clearstream support to have any hope of it being addressed.  You may also want to contact Tablo to find out if they intend their Roku channel to be able to work while an internet connection is down.
Plex should develop their own streaming device.

I think that is outside the scope of focus for the Plex team.  It also would put them in an awkward position of trying to both be a partner to publishing their client to other streaming device while also being a competitor.  It seem like you are expecting something like the Kickstarter for the Matchstick media player based on Firefox OS.  The result of that Kickstarter was an epic failing and also the contributors just got a refund instead of the actual device.  While what Roku does may seem simplistic and maybe even clone-able from an outside observers perspective, the updates on the Matchstick Kickstarter show the huge degree of complexity of what Roku has achieved.  If Plex team tried to take this on, I am fairly sure it would divert resources away from what they are good at while not producing positive results.
Have you considered just trying the RasPlex project?
My guess is Roku won't comment on this issue, for good reason.

Again, this is a question for each channel author to answer rather than Roku directly so for the most part there really is a good reason they wouldn't answer it.  If you run a video game on Windows such a World of Warcraft or Fortnite, it is not up to Microsoft to really answer how those games work offline.  Roku is providing a very flexible foundation for others to code their own streaming channel in which those scripts are not dictated or controlled by Roku.
 I see your PLEX operates ... WHAT IF I took Roku camping[/font]

It isn't Roku's PLEX, it is PLEX's PLEX written in BrightScript so trying to support an offline/camping mode is up to PLEX to decide to support or not.  PLEX has their own forum which you can ask about that or if the recommend a different product for accomplishing this fairly niche use case.
It should be noted that several of your posts so far fall outside of the mainstream use that Roku is marketed as being used for.  The type of information you seem to be looking for may better be answered in the Roku Channel Developer Forums.  You should sign up for access to the developer documentation and forum.
It also seems like it is possible that even with access to the developer information that Roku may not be the right product for the level of flexibility you seem to be looking for.  While Roku does make use of Open Source, it is not intended to give you full access.  For example, discussion on how to try to hack full root access to Roku is prohibited from the forum.  Roku has obligations to content providers of streaming services to provide as strong as digital right management (DRM) system as possible.  How they satisfy that is never allowing access beyond being able to side-load BrightScript channels.  While BrightScript does have potential to do several things, if you want full control over the device then you may need to consider getting something else.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Don't bother with Mr. Chicken.. he's claimed to left the building.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos