Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

ISP blocking certain Roku packets??

Hi,

So my Roku Express I bought last year has been working great for months, up until about 2 weeks ago.  All of a sudden, certain channels will not connect.  In fact, the only channel I know that works now is PBS Kids and Pluto.  The Roku channel opens, but just times out, the same with Amazon Video. 

The Roku itself, if hard reset, will connect to my wifi and pass the connection test, but will not retrieve a activation code, UNLESS I tether it off my phone.  I know about 5 other customers have the same problem with smart devices, ie. Roku's, SmartTV's, Firesticks.

I don't think it's an IP related issue, because Laptops, Tablets, Phones on this router wifi can connect to Roku and Amazon Video just fine.

My question is, what kind of traffic is getting blocked? If PBS kids works fine, what kind of protocol does it use different from say the Roku channel.  And what link is the roku trying to reach to pull down an activation code.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: ISP blocking certain Roku packets??

@dj3 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you made any changes to your wireless network recently? Please be aware that the Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect to the internet?

If you have factory reset and are not getting an activation code, we recommend rebooting both your wireless router as well as trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot to get your device set up again. Once activated, try reconnecting to your wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: ISP blocking certain Roku packets??

Thank you Danny for the follow-up, it actually turned out to be my MTU.  As I mentioned, my setup worked for months, and it might be coincedence but I started having trouble a week after my ISP had some trouble.  Also, I was always able to tether off my phone and pull an activation code or just use the Roku normally, so I really figured it was something with my ISP.  Regardless, setting my MTU down to 1460 made everything start working again great.  Same for other users around town.

0 Kudos