Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

ISP Data Caps Issues

I've gone through a few posts where customers have expressed their concern about managing data usage because of the ISP data caps. Many (including myself) are facing this issue. I have been trying to make changes to video quality (if it is even available) by streaming services (Netflix has this as a setting, others don't).

I see when looking at Hulu live streaming via my computer that there is a video quality setting I can adjust to reduce the amount of data, but that same setting for Hulu via computer is not even available when watching Hulu via the Roku devices I have. This is a HUGE issue for me! Hulu obviously supports it, but Roku ignores it?

Some of the replies I've seen in other threads were obviously from Roku employees. There are discussions of the bitrate limiting feature that no longer works. The part that concerns me here is that the impression these employees leave me (a customer), is "Too bad. Deal with it somewhere else, it's not our problem." Really? Wanna bet?

These employees fail to really understand their customer's position. This device belongs to their customer - period. The customer is struggling to resolve the data cap issue they face every month. If there is no solution, they end up paying high data usage penalties.

This being the case, it is fairly clear that the cable-cutting was a waste of time and money buying their own devices and will be looking to reestablish their cable service. Me included.

I have only been using Roku for a few weeks and doubt seriously that I will be able to continue to use Roku going forward. The attitude of their employees tells me everything I need to know about this company. Many of us don't need "Best Available" video quality. Listen to your customers! There is a genuine need for Roku to address this via their devices.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: ISP Data Caps Issues

The streaming channels create and maintain their own channel apps to run on Roku. Roku only controls their own two channel apps: The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. Feature requests for Hulu should be addressed to Hulu.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos