Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

IPv6 update?

Has there been any update on including IPv6 in a future release of Roku OS? These devices are literally the only things on my network that don't support it at this point. 

nb
17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: IPv6 update?

"ForwardingPlane" wrote:
Has there been any update on including IPv6 in a future release of Roku OS? These devices are literally the only things on my network that don't support it at this point. 

nb

Nope. What you were told in May still applies. And it will continue to apply until Roku announces otherwise on the Roku blog.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Can someone from Roku please comment as to Roku's plans for IPv6? It's 2019 and not a peep from Roku regarding any plans to support IPv6.
Highlighted
Level 11

"imcdona" wrote:
Can someone from Roku please comment as to Roku's plans for IPv6? It's 2019 and not a peep from Roku regarding any plans to support IPv6.

Any announcement from Roku regarding any future plans will come on the Roku Blog. I thought that was made clear. If not, perhaps it is now.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I don't know how this is still an unanswered request. This should have been in place 5 - 10 years ago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@MHammett wrote:

I don't know how this is still an unanswered request. This should have been in place 5 - 10 years ago.

Yes indeed. My Fire Stick, Chromecast and TV all do IPv6. Makes me worry about the long term for Roku if they aren't investing in this sort of platform improvement. This will be needed for the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

If you are running through a Router.

You almost certainly are using IPv6.

IPv6 is just an upgrade to allow more bits in addressing.

It would not improve anything really.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@boogernose If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't speak authoritatively.

Highlighted
Level 8

@boogernose wrote:

If you are running through a Router.

You almost certainly are using IPv6.

IPv6 is just an upgrade to allow more bits in addressing.

It would not improve anything really.

I'm using IPv6 sadly Roku isn't, it's one of the few devices on my home LAN that isn't. This is a about preparation for the future.

But actually a lot of people are finding IPv6 faster than IPv4, not a whole lot but to some extent. No one quite knows why, it's possibly due to the packet headers being a fixed length in IPv6 and variable in IPv4. This allows more opportunity for hardware acceleration in the network stacks of the Internet's routers and switches.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Another reason is that there is less NAT (as in none) and the load on the devices performing that.

0 Kudos