Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iri23

IP address wifi change asap need help

How can I change my IP address wifi on my roku? Please help. I been trying to figure out the whole day.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: IP address wifi change asap need help

You can’t 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

To be more accurate, Roku devices do not support entering a static IP address. If you want to force an IP address on such a device, you need to create an IP reservation in your router (unless you have some other device providing DHCP services). You need the MAC address of the Roku to create an IP reservation, which you can find under Settings/System/About. Then log into your router and find the DHCP settings and create the IP registration. After that, do a power cycle on your Roku and it should now be assigned your desired IP address, and the DHCP server will not assign that IP address to any other device. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
makaiguy

@Iri23-

Maybe we should back up a step.  What is it you are trying to do that makes you want to change the IP assigned to your Roku?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Raja3

I'm in America, i use a vpn.  Evidently when i first set up my device, my vpn ip address was in Netherlands, and roku and other apps don't work in thos countries.  I have my vpn set to usa ip address, yet roku ip isn't changing to usa.  Suggestions to solve?

0 Kudos
renojim

@Raja3, if you were using that Netherlands VPN when you first set up your Roku account then the account is associated with the Netherlands.  You'll have to create a new Roku account (I recommend not using a VPN when doing that), factory reset your Roku device, and link it to the new account.  There's no way to change the region of your original account.  Roku devices don't play well with VPNs.

I am not a Roku employee.
AvsGunnar

@Raja3 

Disable your VPN, Factory Reset your Roku device, and setup a new Roku account.

This way your Roku account will be configured properly based on your geographical location.  As you discovered, the device functionality is dependent on the account setup and activation.  What you do after that regarding your use of a VPN is up to you.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

atc98092

Roku as a company does not support the use of VPNs, as they are sometimes used to bypass regional restrictions, which violates their terms of service. Roku will not provide any assistance when working with VPNs, and any posts about VPN use are subject to deletion. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

@nolanguth there's no such menu option as "IP Settings". You cannot manually assign an IP address to a Roku device through the Roku menu. Your only option to assign a specific IP address is to use an address reservation in the DHCP server settings (usually the router for most home users). 

Dan

0 Kudos
BigAL727

Why does Roku not offer the ability to set static IPs? This is a pretty common practice and can be pretty necessary when setting up a whole home or business control system. While setting a DHCP reservation can work it would be nice to have the ability to set a static IP address for the unit for instance when you do not have control of the network and cannot make the reservation there is no way to reliably control the unit. I love Roku integration generally but this is a drastic oversight in my opinion and makes your product more difficult to sell. Seems you would want to encourage customers not discourage them. 

0 Kudos