Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nancysis
Level 7

IP address issue

I just switched to Comcast xfinity internet and cable.  I bought 2 Roku premier sticks to stream xfinity on TV’s in my house.   One Roku worked as it was intended.   The second Roku will not connect.  We get a message that it needs to be connected to the home wifi- which it is....However, we noticed an IP address that We believe is the issue.   Any idea why the second one will not connect to the Xfinity app?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: IP address issue

If the IP address started with 169, that usually indicates that the device could not get an IP address from your network DHCP server. That is usually handled by the cable modem. I know in the past that Comcast had modems that would only issue a single IP address, as they wanted more money for additional devices. If that's the case, you could add your own router after the cable modem but before your internal network. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos