Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lopki12
Level 7

IP address is wrong

I need to change the IP address on my roku it is different than the one my other devices are connected with. I am unable to get Disney+ because my location cannot be determined..
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
dgrace
Level 11

Re: IP address is wrong

I assume you have a router which assigns IP addresses when newly connected devices are detected. Those are determined by a range which is set in the router, and is usually very large, many more than a normal household would need. So, having said that, your roku IP is not the problem.

The IP that is being presented to the internet is in your modem, controlled by your service provider. Who do you get internet from? Another aspect of this is the DNS addresses that either are pushed by your ISP to your modem, or you input yourself. These Domain Name Server addresses are what are used to convert a URL to a sites current IP. If your dns is looking at a server far from your location it may be determined that you are located there also.

So, provide more info and someone here should have suggestions.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

As @dgrace mentions, your router is what assigns your IP address, and it's public address is what Disney is seeing for your location. Your router is assigning a private IP address, which is not available across the Internet. 

As an FYI: there is no method to configure a static IP address in a Roku device. Retrieving the address from the router via DHCP is the only method available for getting an IP address. If you wish to have a specific IP address always assigned to your Roku, you can make a reservation for that address in your router. But that is a more complex networking discussion that is off topic for your issue here. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Chrisst55
Level 7

My sharp/roku tv adds internet.  Ip shows up some times. Then it goes to use internet and drops ip 

0 Kudos
Chrisst55
Level 7

None of my other devices do that and connect just fine.   This is a wireless connection. Connection says it’s excellent 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Chrisst55 wrote:

My sharp/roku tv adds internet.  Ip shows up some times. Then it goes to use internet and drops ip 

Any networked device requires something called a DHCP server on the network to assign the necessary IP address information (IP address, netmask, DNS and gateway settings), unless the device has the ability to manually enter this information. That ability doesn't exist on a Roku device, so DHCP is a must. On most home networks that is handled by your primary Internet router/modem. If it isn't assigning addresses correctly, first try rebooting that router, then reboot your Roku device. Since it appears you are using wireless, reboot your wireless access point as well, which most like is your router so it will be rebooted anyway. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos