Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Netflixadict
Level 7

I’m suprised

So I was setting up this Roku I just bought and it goes to the set up process I connected to the Wi-Fi and asked me to grab another device to go to the website and set it up which I thought was strange why does it ask me connect to Wi-Fi if it’s not gonna set it Up so anyways I go through I start creating my own Roku account and before I even finished it’s asking me for my credit card information I mean I’m just trying to get this thing on so I can watch Netflix and enjoy time with the family so that’s been another 30 minutes trying to navigate around that figured out how to get it set up and now I’m wondering why makes someone go through all Those unnecessary steps lol

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: I’m suprised

All of your account information is contained on your Roku account, on Roku's web server.  A browser must be used to access websites, and there is no browser for the Roku system.  That's why you need to create an account and log in via a mobile device which does have a web browser.  When/if you add additional Roku units, they are added to this same account without having to re-enter all your info.

CC info is requested to cover incidental expenses you may accrue, such as channel subscriptions you may enter thru the Roku (as opposed to directly with the service provider), movie rentals, etc.  This is like checking into a hotel where you have a prepaid reservation -- they still want a credit card in case you charge something.  After your Roku account is created, you can always log into your account via  https://my.roku.com/payment/account, scroll down and click "Remove payment method".

It is not well publicized, but you can create a Roku account without a credit card in the first place via https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos