Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vern2
Level 8

I have excellent wifi strength but keep getting warnings of no Internet connection

I lied. This has been posted before but there have been no satisfactory answers. My Roku 2 streaming player keeps dropping out and warning me I have lost my Internet connection. The player indicates by Wifi signal strength is excellent. I know my Internet connect is fine as I am using a tablet and phone to access the Net without any problems. Moreover, a speed test indicates a download speed of 50 Mbps, which should be adequate. 

I think the player is just failing. I need someone to provide a satisfactory answer before I trash this machine and buy another. 

In that the Roku support is atrocious, i.e., non-existent - no email, chat or phone support, I will not be buying another Roku unless some human from the company provides some help. 

If no help is forthcoming, I will buy from another company and make it my full time work in the near future to lambaste Roku on every forum and through any means I can think of.  

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: I have excellent wifi strength but keep getting warnings of no Internet connection

@Vern2 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us more information about the issue that you are experiencing? What specific model Roku 2 are you using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Vern2
Level 8

Re: I have excellent wifi strength but keep getting warnings of no Internet connection

Roku 2. Model 4210 X. 

What more info do you need other than what I have already provided? The streaming programs keep buffering or dropping. I go to my Roku settings and see my wifi strength is excellent. My phone and tablet are right there and connect to the Internet well through the same wifi. 

I check my connection on my ROku and it tells me there is no Internet connection.  So, to summarize, I have excellent wifi strength but keep getting warnings of no Internet connection.

0 Kudos
Spideyboi84
Level 7

I am also having the same issue with the 2018 roku stick. Signal strength excellent but no/poor download speed. 

0 Kudos
Stranger
Level 7

Need to add myself to this list with the same problem. I had assumed my issue was with the router so I just upgraded to a Netgear triple band router. The router's designed for large areas in  the 2500 -3000 sqft range, My home's pushing 1000 sqft.. The television is a straight 25' direct line of sight to the router. I have fiber optics to the house. The roku streaming stick+ is less than a year old. Same issue as everyone, popups warning a weak signal and constant attempts to refresh. Checking network connections in settings reveal a excellent signal. So what gives.........?

0 Kudos
Venyart
Level 7

I’m having the same issue. Only thing I can see that’s changed is my device shows it updated recently. 

0 Kudos
Vern2
Level 8

I did the same. Upgraded to Eero mesh system for 2500 sq ft in my 12 sq ft home. No improvements. 

Roku has no discernible support structure in place. See message from "Danny" with his bot-like post requesting more info. There is nothing more to say. 

Everyone needs to report this to every review process conceivable. I realize customer support is expensive (but necessary so who cares?) and that we all have to battle to get support - talking to bots in chats, useless repeat emails, being on hold forever, but this is the worst. Roku blatantly has ZERO customer support. No email, chat or phone. Maybe if I penned a strongly worded letter?  No, there would be NO ONE to send it to and NO WHERE to send it. . I am pretty upset. My streaming in kaput and I really have no idea what to do about it. Will need to trash my Roku and get something else. 

Any thoughts, Danno?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I haven't had a Roku 2 in service for some time, but I do occasionally lose wifi on the other ones as you guys have described, mostly on the Streaming Stick + which is on my main living room tv and gets the most use by far.

No guarantees, but this has always worked for me when I've needed to re-establish the WiFi connection on a Roku device:

Reboot your router (Yes, do this even if your other devices have no problem finding and connecting to your network.)

When your router comes back up, restart your Roku via Settings > System > System restart
(For Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

Reconnect to your network via Settings > Network > Set up connection

I've had a couple of times when the above didn't work.  I pulled the power plug on the Roku for a minute or so then plugged it back in. When it finished restarting, I've been able to reconnect the network again.

Doug
Roku Community Streaming Expert  I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a Spectrum modem replace it ! I have two roku sticks that suddenly quit connecting for four days called spectrum they said I had good signal and  I have a TP- LINK AC 4000 router , every tablet connected , Tired of calling spectrum we took the modem in and exchanged it at Spectrum store to have guy behind counter say last update messed their modems up ! Took new modem home and Roku sticks couldn't have connected up faster! Don't fiddle around replace your ISP's modem !! 

0 Kudos