Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cLaRiSaP5
Level 7

I have a Roku 1 and my controller broke and it won’t connect to WiFi

So I put away my Roku due to not having a tv for a while, I finally got one and I tried to use the controller and it didn’t work so I though I could connect with it on my phone, but it turns out it has to be connected to WiFi first and it won’t connect because it’s a new server.. so I need help how to connect it to WiFi so I can just use my phone as a controller.. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: I have a Roku 1 and my controller broke and it won’t connect to WiFi

The Roku 1 uses an IR remote, so a replacement isn't that expensive. In fact, you can probably go into a local store that sells generic remotes and find one that list support for Roku devices for about $10 or so. But first, make sure your remote batteries are good, and inserted correctly. Different Roku remotes have different battery orientation.

But since the Roku 1 is WiFi only, you have to connect it to the wireless before you can use a phone app. There's no other way to connect it to a network without a remote. Unless you know the WiFi SSID and password of the last network that it connected to, and change your WiFi to match. In that case it should auto-reconnect. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos