Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cLaRiSaP5
Level 7

I have a Roku 1 and my controller broke and it won’t connect to WiFi

So I put away my Roku due to not having a tv for a while, I finally got one and I tried to use the controller and it didn’t work so I though I could connect with it on my phone, but it turns out it has to be connected to WiFi first and it won’t connect because it’s a new server.. so I need help how to connect it to WiFi so I can just use my phone as a controller.. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I have a Roku 1 and my controller broke and it won’t connect to WiFi

The Roku 1 uses an IR remote, so a replacement isn't that expensive. In fact, you can probably go into a local store that sells generic remotes and find one that list support for Roku devices for about $10 or so. But first, make sure your remote batteries are good, and inserted correctly. Different Roku remotes have different battery orientation.

But since the Roku 1 is WiFi only, you have to connect it to the wireless before you can use a phone app. There's no other way to connect it to a network without a remote. Unless you know the WiFi SSID and password of the last network that it connected to, and change your WiFi to match. In that case it should auto-reconnect. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos