Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How to connect to a new network without the original remote?

A few months ago, the remote that came with my roku 3 stopped working. Instead of replacing it I just used the remote app. Last week I moved to a new apartment with a new modem, and now the app doesn't work because it's a different network. If I try to connect manually, it tells me I need my "roku device's IP address." No idea how to get that. It is apparently not the same as my actual IP address, which I tried using and failed. Anyone know how to get around this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: How to connect to a new network without the original remote?

Your Roku doesn't have an IP address until it's connected to your network, so don't bother with the app until then.  The Roku 3 will work with any cheap universal remote that states that it supports Roku.  They can be found at any big box store or sometimes at a dollar store.  You might be able to use an Ethernet cable to get it to connect and then use the app, but I'm not sure it will automatically switch from using Wi-Fi to its Ethernet input.

0 Kudos