Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madison22

How to connect my Roku device to school or dorm or WiFi

Jump to solution

I am currently at a college dorm. I followed the instructions and went to wireless setting on my phone, connected to what my ROKU told me to connect to and entered the browser. But I don’t know what the last step means... what does “launch a browser on your smartphone to enter the required information (such as name and room number) 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Wireless connection at college dorm

Jump to solution

@madison22 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Since you are at a college dorm, are you trying to connect to the internet with the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature on the Roku device? Has your device been activated prior to trying to connect to your internet connect? This is an important step that must be done before connecting with the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature.

If the device hasn't been activated yet, we would recommend trying to activate the device by connecting to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot. Once the device has been activated, try connecting again with Hotel & Dorm Connect and see if your issue is resolved.

For more information regarding Hotel & Dorm Connect, visit our Support page here: How do I use Hotel & Dorm Connect to connect to the internet?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Wireless connection

Jump to solution

So youre trying to log in to your College Dorm wifi.

Not sure what youre saying exactly. Probably easier for

someone else who is already logged in to help you there.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@madison22 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Since you are at a college dorm, are you trying to connect to the internet with the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature on the Roku device? Has your device been activated prior to trying to connect to your internet connect? This is an important step that must be done before connecting with the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature.

If the device hasn't been activated yet, we would recommend trying to activate the device by connecting to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot. Once the device has been activated, try connecting again with Hotel & Dorm Connect and see if your issue is resolved.

For more information regarding Hotel & Dorm Connect, visit our Support page here: How do I use Hotel & Dorm Connect to connect to the internet?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
12345rfe

Jump to solution

I have done all the steps in order to connect my roku to my dorm internet including setting up with another network first but still noting happens when I go to a browser. what is the next step to getting to the place where I enter my name and room number? 

thank you 

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem as is stated in the question. I'm currently at college with a new Roku. I was able to connect to another network (using the hotspot on my phone) to set up and activate my Roku. However, now that everything is set up I would like to switch my network to my college wifi so that I don't always have to use my phone. I'm able to find and select my college Wi-Fi, and then I select that I am in a hotel/dorm. I then do as the instructions say. I go to the Wi-Fi settings on my phone, connect to the Roku, enter the password, and can connect to the Roku. For the last step it says to open a browser on my phone to enter some info. When I open a browser on my phone (after connecting to the Roku), nothing happens. What am I supposed to do when I open the browser, and how am I supposed to enter my name and room number?

Datcampbell53
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We had a similar issue and had to register the Roku device with the college WiFi provider. Once we entered the MAC address for the Roku device on the college WiFi provider's web site, the Roku stick connected normally. I suggest calling the college's IT group for help. I guarantee you are not the only person attempting to connect a streaming device in the dorm. Our college pointed us in the right direction.

Harveynicc

Jump to solution

why won't my roku tv show up in my phone wifi ?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Your Roku TV must be connected to your network before it will show up in the app.  You can't get it connected to the network using the app if that's what you're trying to do.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tonykand

Jump to solution

Your tip was extremely unhelpful, you failed to address the specific “browser” where one would put in their room/dorm info.

0 Kudos