Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rainbowfarts
Level 7

How to change network on a roku that is used

I have a roku my mom gave me a couple years ago and I’ve never used it but I lost the remote. I’m not sure if she has ever used it either. I looked up how to change the network with another phones hotspot and then use the roku app as a remote but, from what I can tell it requires you to know the network information that is currently attached to the roku which I do not know. Is there any way to just reset the roku and start fresh? How do I get around this? TIA

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to change network on a roku that is used

Sorry, you need a remote.  What is the model number of the Roku (should be written on it somewhere)?  You may be able to get away with a cheap universal remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to change network on a roku that is used

To add to what @renojim said, if it's any model of Roku Stick (the kind that can plug directly into a TV without a cable), it is completely unusable without a factory remote to get it connected to your network.

Yes, once it's on the network you can use the Roku app on a phone or tablet to control it. But it has to be on the network first, and with a Stick that requires a factory remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos