Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rainbowfarts
Level 7

How to change network on a roku that is used

I have a roku my mom gave me a couple years ago and I’ve never used it but I lost the remote. I’m not sure if she has ever used it either. I looked up how to change the network with another phones hotspot and then use the roku app as a remote but, from what I can tell it requires you to know the network information that is currently attached to the roku which I do not know. Is there any way to just reset the roku and start fresh? How do I get around this? TIA

0 Kudos
2 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: How to change network on a roku that is used

Sorry, you need a remote.  What is the model number of the Roku (should be written on it somewhere)?  You may be able to get away with a cheap universal remote.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: How to change network on a roku that is used

To add to what @renojim said, if it's any model of Roku Stick (the kind that can plug directly into a TV without a cable), it is completely unusable without a factory remote to get it connected to your network.

Yes, once it's on the network you can use the Roku app on a phone or tablet to control it. But it has to be on the network first, and with a Stick that requires a factory remote. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos