Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ronnieb

How do I control a Roku TV from a different Wi-Fi network

My parents live in a nursing home with a Roku TV using a Roku stick. They do not have the ability to turn on the TV. But they do have the ability to watch the TV. How can I myself turn on the TV from my own home which is on a different Wi-Fi network many miles away? I want to be able to choose channels for them and volume as well.

2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I control a Roku TV from a different Wi-Fi network

@Ronnieb wrote:

My parents live in a nursing home with a Roku TV using a Roku stick. They do not have the ability to turn on the TV. But they do have the ability to watch the TV. How can I myself turn on the TV from my own home which is on a different Wi-Fi network many miles away? I want to be able to choose channels for them and volume as well.

You can't. About the only thing I could think of is a computer on their network that you can remote into, and run an app from the computer. I did find a Windows 10 app in the Windows store that works well and is free. 

The Roku app for Windows, iOS or Android requires both the device and the Roku to be connected to the same private network, and there cannot be any security restrictions that block wireless devices from seeing each other. It's possible that you might be able to use a VPN to connect your device with the app to their network, but configuring and securing a VPN is beyond the abilities of many computer users. And since they're connected to a semi-public network, the chances that they would permit you to connect in like that is next to nothing. As a network admin, I would never allow something like that. Far too large a security hole. And again, since it's a shared network, chances are very good the security I mentioned that blocks devices from seeing each other is enabled.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Re: How do I control a Roku TV from a different Wi-Fi network

Good morning.  Did you ever come up with a solution to operate your parents TV remotely?  My dad is bling and struggles daily with his TV.