Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geesh
Reel Rookie

Re: How can I use WPS to communicate the WiFi password to my Roku Ultra 4660X

Jump to solution

Since I saw this reply in community - wow not having this WPS feature is bad enough, but after entering the very long password and it not connecting (even though I checked the password), it drops the password and you have to enter the whole thing again.  I'm not sure it even accommodates the lengthy password.  Extremely frustrating.  No other device in my house has difficulty connecting with my router.  Regretting purchase.

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What is your Router Model?

You can change the password to an easier one.

WPS enabled is very insecure.

Is the wifi signal strong at your Roku.

Sometimes Routers get finicky when there are more than one wifi logged in.

Can you disable some of the other connections. Restart the Router and try again.

Good Luck

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
geesh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

These were many of the things I was trying.  But finally it hooked up after taking all the other devices off Wi-fi.  thanks.  Curious as to why I am now more secure with a short password rather than the 50 digit one the router recommended.

0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

WPS is very easily hacked.  It should be outlawed and is always disabled and generally not even on option on corporate routers.

I was able to hack into my own WPS enabled router in about 5 minutes using a a simple script I downloaded.  I was interested how easy it really was and quickly disabled WPS.

A 6 character password with no WPS is much safer than a 128 character password with WPS enabled.

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
Z18213

Jump to solution

That sucks

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

WPS is insecure.

If you havent gotten into the Routers settings the password is probably on the bottom of it.

Its not hard.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
TidalWaver
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My fire stick generates a wps pin that I can enter into the router to connect them. On my router wps is otherwise disabled. I see no reason for roku to not also support this or otherwise be a pain in the **bleep** about setting up wifi.

This is ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

See my post above.  WPS should be outlawed due to ridiculously lacking security.

If you can't figure out how to set a password or just ask someone you know/trust for help then in my opinion you should not be using technology unsupervised.

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
TidalWaver
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If I want to put in a randomly generated 64 character password without error, roku makes this ridiculously difficult for no reason.

No one needs some jackass like you browbeating them. You should not be using the internet unsupervised.

0 Kudos
wjbmd48

Jump to solution

First, let's state the obvious: it sucks that Roku obviously didn't think about how users could enter secure, complex wifi passwords, then shined them on by "enter it manually." Right, all 63 characters on the alphanumeric board from **bleep**.

The guest network hack below might work for some routers, but not for mine, since on it my phones/tablets didn't talk thru the router to the device.

You so you may have to temporarily dumb down the pw on your router's main signal, connect both the phone/roku app to the Roku device, then *using the hard remote* navigate to the pw entry.

Then, get the pw to your phone/tablet with email/dropbox, or whatever, and copy it. Then, on the roku App, if you move your finger just right on the pw window, you'll get a "paste" command.

But, really, shame on Roku for not thinking about this. Given all of the above, and their nonexistent customer support, I'd short the stock.

0 Kudos